Make a complaint

You can make a complaint by email, post, phone, online or in person at any Council office.

Customer Feedback Team
1st Floor
Town House
Broad Street
AB10 1AQ

01224 523 058

How to make a complaint

Please check that your issue is something we will consider a complaint.

Please describe your complaint in as much detail as possible. Tell us:

  • your full name and address
  • what happened and when
  • who was involved
  • what should have happened
  • how you want us to resolve the matter

Read the complaints handling procedure for more information on how we deal with complaints.

Help making a complaint

If you are unable or reluctant to make a complaint yourself you can ask a friend, relative or advocate to make one for you. If you would prefer for an advocate to act on your behalf, you can contact the Scottish Independent Advocacy Alliance for advice on those available in your area. You must give the person making the complaint permission to act on your behalf by completing a Third Party Consent to Disclose Form.

How long do I have to make a complaint?

You can make a complaint up to 6 months after the event happened, or 6 months after finding out that you have reason to complain but no more than 12 months after the event itself.

In exceptional circumstances, we may accept a complaint after the time limit.

Common issues

Complaints about the following issues are dealt with differently, and not under our complaints handling procedure. We will pass on these complaints to the correct team where possible, or you may wish to contact them directly. For more information, please use the links provided below:

  • Social Work Comment or Complain: Complaints relating to a care service can be dealt with by the Social Work complaints team.

  • Care Inspectorate: Complaints regarding care providers are dealt with by the Care Inspectorate, please contact them directly.

  • Corporate Insurance: If you wish to make a claim, please contact the department or service directly.

  • Car Parks and Parking Charges: If you don't think you should have received a Penalty Charge Notice or Bus Lane Fine, you have the right to appeal.

  • Antisocial Behaviour Investigation Team (ASBIT): If you are experiencing antisocial behaviour from your neighbours, ASBIT may be able to help.

  • Area Housing Offices: If there are any issues regarding communal areas in your Council-owned building, your local Housing Office should be notified.

  • Guidance notes for the job application process: Information and advice about our recruitment process is available.

  • Councillors: Complaints against Councillors should be referred to The Commissioner for Ethical Standards in Public Life in Scotland (CESPLS).

  • External Committee Members: External Members are anyone who is on a committee and isn't a Councillor. Please write to: Head of Legal and Democratic Services, Town House, Broad Street, Aberdeen, AB10 1AQ or email:

  • Outside bodies: Organisations, such as Sport Aberdeen, have their own complaints procedures. Please contact them directly.

Would you like to give feedback about the new website?