Contact the Council Tax teamContact us
Pay your Council Tax
You can pay your Council Tax in a number of different ways. Remember, if you do not pay your Council Tax as detailed on your bill you could incur additional charges. If you are being affected by the Covid-19 pandemic, please see below.
The easiest way to pay your Council Tax bill is by Direct Debit.
Your direct debit is quick and easy to set up or amend and is covered by the direct debit guarantee. To set up a direct debit you can either:
- Download and complete a Direct Debit Instruction below and send by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or;
- Download and complete a Direct Debit Instruction below and post it to Marischal College, Broad Street, 3rd Floor West, Business Hub 16, Aberdeen, AB10 1AB, or;
- Phone us on 03000 200 292 to set up a Direct Debit (lines are open Monday - Friday 08.00 to 18.00)
Please remember to have your Council Tax Reference Number and payment card details ready.
You can choose to spread your Direct Debit payments over 10 or 12 months of the financial year from April. There are a choice of dates available (5th, 15th, 20th and 28th of each month).
However, if your Direct Debit is set up part way through the year the instalments may be spread over the remaining months of the financial year.
If you are currently paying by Direct Debit over 10 months you can amend this to spread your payments over the full financial year.
Please note, if you or your bank/building society cancel your Direct Debit whilst a balance remains outstanding an adjustment notice will be issued to you.
Pay your council tax online by debit or credit card. Further help with online payments is available on our help page.
We are currently experiencing issues with our online payment system when using Google Chrome. This is being looked in to. However, for now please use a different browser when making online payments on this site.
Call 03000 200 292 (lines are open Monday to Friday 08.00 to 18.00) to use our automated service to make payments for a range of Council services. Please remember to have your Council Tax Reference Number available and payment card details ready.
You will need to provide the bank details below and use your Council Tax Reference Number as your Payment Reference Number.
Sort Code: 82-60-11
Account Number: 70009126
Account Name: Aberdeen City Council
You can pay at the following locations:
- Marischal College Customer Service Centre - Debit/Credit card payments only, Monday to Friday between 10.30 to 13.00
- Any Post Office - you will need the barcode from your Council Tax bill in order to make payment (Please allow 5 working days for payment to be credited to your account)
- Anywhere you see the Paypoint sign - you will need the barcode from your Council Tax bill in order to make payment (Please allow 5 working days for payment to be credited to your account). Find your nearest Paypoint.
The following statement has been published by the Scottish Government:
“Anyone whose income or earnings are impacted by the current COVID 19 pandemic and who may now struggle to meet their next council tax payment should visit their council’s website or contact them by telephone to find out if they are entitled to a Council Tax Reduction. This includes those who have set up direct debits to pay by instalments - the first payment for the coming financial year is likely to be deducted early next month unless they act quickly.
Those whose earnings are unaffected should continue to meet their tax liabilities.”
If you are struggling to make payment due to Covid-19, we are able to agree a special payment plan so that the Council Tax due for 2020/21 is split over 9 months, from July 2020 to March 2021, meaning that in some cases you will not have to pay anything until July.
If a payment plan would help, please contact us as soon as possible. Note, if you have a Direct Debit in place, we may have already requested payment from the bank for your instalment. We will let you know if you are to contact your bank.
Make sure that you have claimed all of the benefits that you are entitled to. For working age families this is Universal Credit from the DWP. Find out more about Universal Credit.
You may also qualify for Council Tax Reduction, a means tested reduction if you have low income. Find out more on our Council Tax Reduction page. Furthermore, certain individuals can still qualify for Housing Benefit. Please visit our Housing Benefit page to see if you could claim.
To find out more information about the Council’s response to the Covid-19 pandemic, visit our Coronavirus page.
- Each year payment of Council Tax is required to be made over 10 or 12 monthly instalments, starting in April, unless you have agreed a special arrangement with us due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Payments are due on or before the 1st of each month, unless you pay by Direct Debit.
- Alternatively, you can pay in full for the year in a lump sum on or before 1 April.
- Remember, if you do not pay your Council Tax as detailed on your bill you could incur additional charges.
- If you are having difficulty paying please contact us as soon as possible. Our Benefits and Money Advice service can offer advice if you are finding it difficult to keep on top of your bills.
- You must continue to pay your Council Tax whilst waiting on the outcome of a decision/review.
Would you like to give feedback about the website?