Preventing fraud, bribery and corruption

Aberdeen City Council is obliged to ensure that it properly handles public funds. As such the Council has a Counter Fraud Policy which summarises its approach to dealing with matters of fraud, bribery, corruption, tax avoidance and money laundering. This policy covers any person employed by, conducting any business with, or using any service administered by the Council.

Examples of fraudulent behaviour can include:

  • Using Household Waste Recycling Centres to deposit commercial waste;
  • Council employees using Council vehicles or equipment for non-Council work;
  • Providing false information, or omitting relevant information, in an application (for example, grants, homeless accommodation, council tax relief, or for a permit);
  • Subletting in whole or part, a Council property;
  • Perverting the procurement process to favour a particular supplier;
  • Overcharging the Council for goods or services;
  • Use of Council processes or schemes to hide criminal proceeds;
  • Providing some inducement (e.g. financial) to an officer or councillor to do something in a professional capacity.

The above is not an exhaustive list and is provided for illustration only.

How to report fraud

The Council does not investigate allegations of benefit fraud. You can also report benefit fraud to the Department for Work and Pensions. Additionally, some benefits have been devolved to/ developed by the Scottish Government, and are the responsibility of Social Security Scotland.

You can report allegations of fraud, or other dishonest practice to the Council using our secure online form:

If you’d like to include photographs or links in your referral, email

Please note that the Council does not provide updates or feedback on referrals. Although you can remain anonymous, it would be appreciated if you could leave your contact details where possible, as it is likely that we will need further information to progress your allegation.

Every referral is assessed by trained counter fraud officers to determine suitability for investigation. At the culmination of an investigation, the Council may, depending on the nature of the allegation and the evidence obtained:

  • Deal with the matter internally, for instance through a change in procedure;
  • Require repayment of funds;
  • Take legal action through Civil procedure;
  • Report the matter to the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service for consideration of prosecution;
  • Report the matter to an outside agency, such as Police, DWP, HMRC, etc, or a professional regulatory body.

In fulfilling the counter fraud function, counter fraud officers may request data from any records kept by any Council service.

Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.