Your data: requesting and paying for replacement birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates

How we use your data

Aberdeen City Council collects your personal data in order to process your request to provide additional certificates relating to births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships. We may use your information to verify your identity. We may contact you by post, email or telephone. 

Where replacement certificates are ordered via your online customer account, your information will be stored on secure servers by our suppliers Firmstep Ltd.

We will use the certificate number generated (not linked to any personal information) to maintain an audit trail for our records.

How long we keep your information for

Your online application case record will be kept for one year. We will retain a record of the certificate numbers generated until the end of the current financial year plus 3 years; you will not be identifiable from these records.

Records relating to payments for certificates are retained for 6 years in line with financial reporting arrangements.

Your rights

You’ve got legal rights about the way the Council handles and uses your data, which include the right to ask for a copy of it. You can email the Council’s Data Protection Officer on or write to:

Legal and Democratic Services
Business Hub 6
Level 1 South
Marischal College
AB10 1AB

See more information about all of the rights you have. You also have the right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office. They are the body responsible for making sure organisations like the Council handle your data lawfully.

Our legal basis

Aberdeen City Council is the Data Controller for your information. Wherever we are processing personal information we need to make sure we have a legal basis in data protection law. The Council understands our legal basis for processing personal data for the purposes of providing additional certificates as Article 6(1)(c) of the General Data Protection Regulation. This is because this is something the Council must do to comply with the Local Electoral Administration and Registration Services (Scotland) Act 2006.

Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.