How to register a birth

You need to book an appointment to register the birth of your baby. 

Our office is situated in Marischal College on Broad Street. The office is open Monday to Friday 9am to 1pm.  

Once we receive your provisional booking one of our registrars will call you back to gather some more information and confirm your booking. 


If the baby's parents are married to each other or are in a registered civil partnership, only one parent needs to register the birth.

If the parents are not married to each other and are not in a registered civil partnership, they must both be in attendance during the registration call. 

If the birth is registered solely by the mother, the father/parent’s details will only be shown if a statutory declaration has been signed in the presence of someone who can administer oaths or if a court has declared that a person is the father/parent of the child.

You will need to bring along the notification given to you by the maternity hospital or midwife that shows the baby's details.

  • A debit or credit card if you are going to buy the full birth certificate
  • We will give you an abbreviated birth certificate showing the baby's name, date and place of birth.  This is free of charge and can be used to send with your child benefit application. 
  • An EC58 form which you will need to give to the GP practice your baby will be registered with.
  • A full birth certificate showing the parent's names can be purchased for £10. This is optional, but it is needed for passport applications.

Contact the Registrars team

Contact us
Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.