Your data: registering a birth, death, stillbirth, marriage or civil partnership

How we use your data

Aberdeen City Council collects your personal data in order to maintain our records and to administer your booking. We may use your information to verify your identity. We may correspond with you by post, email or telephone. 

Please see the details of how to register a birth and how to register a death to find out what to bring to the appointment and what information will be required to be recorded.

We collect personal data in a marriage or civil partnership notice form in order to inform the local registrar that you wish to marry or enter into a civil partnership. We also collect witness details.

Local Authority Registrars act on behalf of the Registrar General for Scotland and are required by law to register life events in statutory registers, which are transferred to the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh every year. Please see the National Records of Scotland Registration Privacy Notice.

If you wish to use the Tell Us Once Service you will be required to provide additional information, which will be passed on to other Council services and Government departments. Please see the Tell Us Once Privacy Notice.

We are legally obliged to safeguard public funds so we are required to verify and check your details internally for fraud prevention. We may share this information with other public bodies (and also receive information from these other bodies) for fraud checking purposes.  We are also legally obliged to share certain data with other public bodies, such as HMRC and will do so where the law requires this.  We will also generally comply with requests for specific information from other regulatory and law enforcement bodies where this is necessary and appropriate. We may share information with the Home Office or other immigration authorities and Police Scotland.

How long we keep your information for

We will retain records relating to the administration of the registration until the end of the current year plus a further 3 years. The statutory registers are retained permanently at the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh.

Your rights

You’ve got legal rights about the way the Council handles and uses your data, which include the right to ask for a copy of it. You can email the Council’s Data Protection Officer on or write to:

Legal and Democratic Services
Business Hub 6
Level 1 South
Marischal College
AB10 1AB

See more information about all of the rights you have.  You also have the right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office. They are the body responsible for making sure organisations like the Council handle your data lawfully.

Our legal basis

Aberdeen City Council is the Data Controller for your information. Wherever we are processing personal information we need to make sure we have a legal basis in data protection law. The Council understands our legal basis for processing personal data for the purposes of providing with regard to registering births and deaths as Article 6(1)(c) of the General Data Protection Regulation, as we undertake these registrations in line with our statutory obligations set out in the Registration of Births, Deaths and Marriages (Scotland) Act 1965 and the Marriage (Scotland) Act 1977.

Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.