Short Term Lets

About Short Term Lets

Under the Civic Government Scotland Act 1982 (Licensing of Short Term Lets) Order 2022, local authorities in Scotland must introduce a licensing scheme for properties operating as short term lets.  This Order was passed by the Scottish Parliament on 19 January 2022 and a licensing scheme must be in place by 1 October 2022.  All short-term lets must be licensed by July 2024.

There are four types of licence for short-term let accommodation:

  • Secondary letting - The letting of property where you do not normally live, for example a second home that is let to guests
  • Home letting - Using all or part of your own home for short-term lets, whilst you are absent. An example of this could be whilst you are on holiday
  • Home sharing - Using all or part of your own home for short-term lets, whilst you are there
  • Home letting and home sharing - Operating short-term lets from your own home while you are living there and for periods when you are absent

Property Standards

As part of the scheme, the Council must publish a licensing policy for short term lets in the area. Properties must conform to a minimum safety standard.  Standards will be detailed throughout the application process and they are also available online through the Scottish Government’s website.


The Council can add additional conditions to licences. As part of our consultation, we seek views on adding additional conditions to our Short Term Let process within Aberdeen City. Please follow this link to the consultation. Closing date is 9 August 2022.

You can read more about short-term lets licensing on the Scottish Government’s website


If you have any queries regarding Short Term Lets within Aberdeen City, please contact

Related Guidance:

Guidance for Hosts and Operators

Guidance for Licensing Authorities, Letting Agents and Platforms



Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.