Buy a garden waste permit

2021/22 service

The Garden Waste Collection Service runs from 1 September to 31 August each year. 

You can buy two permits for £30. If you need a third permit you can buy one for an extra £30. No refunds will be issued.

If you don’t want to buy a permit for your brown bin, you can home compost or take your garden waste to a Household Waste and Recycling Centre for free.

Remember, you should still recycle your food waste in your brown bin even if you don’t have a permit.

What happens next

Your permit will be sent to your home within 21 days of ordering.  When you receive it, you should stick it to your bin before putting it out for collection.  

Please don’t attach your new permit on top of previous year’s as it will not stick. Follow the instructions on the reverse of the permit which show you how and where to attach it. The permit is durable, tamper proof and will have your address on it. 

Frequently Asked Questions

The Council is not legally required to collect garden waste. 

The charge was introduced in 2019 and is one of several measures introduced to help bridge a funding gap as the result of reduced funding, rising demand and growing cost pressures. 

No, this is an optional subscription service. You only need to pay if you want us to collect your garden waste. 

If you do not have a garden, or you only use your brown bin for food waste then you do not have to pay. 

No, you will only pay if you sign up for the service. 

We do not offer any discounts. 

If you need help to apply for your permit you can ask a friend, family member or support worker to apply on your behalf. All applications need to be completed online, including payment. Cash and cheques will not be accepted. 

If you require dedicated support from us to apply, you can phone our Customer Contact Centre on 03000 200 292 and we can provide guidance over the telephone or set up an appointment with you if additional assistance is required. We also have some guidance on how to log on or register for our online services, including how to complete our online forms available.

If you move home, your permit should remain at the property. You cannot take it with you, and you will not receive a refund. 

If you move to another property that has an existing permit, you can continue to use it until it expires. You will then have to re-apply and pay to continue using the service.

If you move to another property that does not have a permit, you will have to apply for a new one to use the service. The standard charge of £30 will apply, there is no discount for applying later in the year.  

No refunds will be issued.  

You can have a maximum of 3 brown bins with a permit needed on each.

You can buy two permits for £30. If you need a third permit you can buy one for an extra £30. However, there is a one-off administration charge of £36.10 for an extra bin.  

Yes, if you plan to use your brown bin for recycling any garden waste it will only be emptied if it has a valid permit.

You can still  take your garden waste to your local Household Waste and Recycling Centre, free of charge or you can try home composting.

Households that currently share a bin for their garden waste (e.g. flatted properties) can continue to do this if one resident applies for the permit. 

To find out if you are eligible, please use the online calendar. Enter your postcode into the search box and choose your property from the dropdown list. If the results show collection dates for a brown bin you are eligible for a food waste service and for garden waste if you pay for a permit.    

Please contact us if the search does not show dates for a brown bin and you have a garden and think you should be eligible.  

Households not eligible for a brown bin should have access to a nearby communal food waste bin. 

If you are part of the garden maintenance scheme then your garden waste permit is included and no additional payment is required.

Yes, if you pay for a permit. 

You can continue to have an assisted lift for food waste only without purchasing a garden waste permit. 

There is no plan to offer free or subsidised composting units, however, we can provide advice and guidance on how to compost at home.

No. The Council does not run the composting facility and the compost produced does not belong to us. 

You should keep your brown bin as you will still need it for recycling food waste. 

Contact the Waste and Recycling team

Contact us
Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.