Completing an online form
Before you begin
The “Before you begin” page will give a description of the form and any important information you need to know before completing it.
What you will need to do or provide
You will be asked to provide information by typing into text boxes, selecting from lists, pressing buttons, clicking on maps, or selecting dates/times from a calendar.
Mandatory questions are marked with a red asterisk (*) or “Required” text.
If you have missed any mandatory questions you will be notified when you try to go to the next page.
Some questions will include an “i” symbol on the right-hand side. Click on this to see any information that may help you complete the form.
Navigating a form
You should only navigate through the forms using the “next”, “previous” and “submit” buttons.
Don’t use the back button in your browser or skip pages.
Sometimes you won’t see buttons until you have answered certain questions required for you to move on.
Entering your address in a form
Some of our forms will enter your address details directly from your online account. You will be asked whether you wish to use this address or provide a different one.
When you enter an address, we will ask you for the postcode. If our system cannot find your address, this could be for several reasons:
- Your address is not in Aberdeen City.
- Your address is not yet on the official maps (e.g. a new build property).
- You have misspelt or incorrectly entered your post code.
If this is the case, you can enter your address manually. Some services are only available to those who live in Aberdeen City.
Uploading a file or a photo to a form
To upload a file or photo to a form:
- Click on the “upload” button and select the file from the location on your computer where it is saved.
- If you are using a mobile or tablet device, you can upload files from that device.
If we need a photo of you:
- Follow the guidance on the form to make sure your photo meets our requirements.
- You can take a photo using a mobile device, such as a smart phone or tablet, and upload this to the form.
To save documents and photos onto your computer you can:
- Scan your documents or photos using a scanner connected to your computer.
- Take photos of your documents (or the applicant) on a digital camera which you can connect to your computer.
- Take photos of your documents (or the applicant) using your smart phone or tablet.
- You will need to complete the form using the computer, smart phone or tablet your documents are saved on,
You can scan and upload your documents free at any of our libraries. You should make sure that you bring a USB memory stick with you to transfer the files, or you can buy one from the library.
Remember we will accept photos of documents provided they are good quality, clear, and legible.
File size and types
You can upload files or photos up to to 5 megabytes (MB) in size.
Our forms will tell you which file type we need, each time we request a document from you. We accept the following file types:
- Image files (.jpeg, .jpg, .bmp, .gif, .png)
- PDFs (.pdf)
- Microsoft Word documents (.docx)
- Microsoft Excel spreadsheets (.xlsx)
You can only upload as many files as the form allows. This is shown next to the upload button. For example, “Uploaded: 1/2” means that you have uploaded one document and can upload a total of two.
Your uploaded documents are stored and sent using encrypted technology to make sure they stay safe. You can find out more about how we store and use your data in the privacy notice for each individual service.
Would you like to give feedback about the website?