Your data: adult carer support plan

How we use your information

If you are referred to us as an adult carer, we’ll arrange for you to have an Adult Carer Support Plan put in place. This is normally carried out on our behalf, under contract, by Aberdeen Carers Support Service. We’ll keep a copy of your Adult Carer Support Plan on our electronic case management system and if your Support Plan changes, we’ll update the copy we hold on our system.

You’ll always be given a copy of your Adult Carer Support Plan. As part of our integrated working arrangements the Council also shares limited relevant information with the Scottish Government and NHS for the purposes of planning, delivering and monitoring services, and to inform the strategic design of integrated services.

We receive information from partners which is added to our records. In some cases, information will be added to our records using automated processing, to speed up the time it takes to deal with simple processes. Decisions about you are not made using automated decision-making.

Whilst every Adult Carer is entitled to a support plan you don’t have to have one if you don’t want to. Your plan is held by us in confidence and we don’t normally share information from it unless we’re required to by law.

How long we keep your information for

We will keep your information for five years, plus the current year, from the date that you no longer have an Adult Carer Support Plan in place. If you decide at any point in the process that you do not want an Adult Carer Support Plan any more, we’ll keep your information for five years from our last contact with you. This is because we have a statutory duty to support adult carers, so we need to keep a record which evidences we’ve carried out our statutory duty, even if you decide you do not want an Adult Carer Support Plan Assessment.

Your rights

You have rights to your data, including the right to ask for a copy of it. See the Your data page for more information on all the rights you have, and how they work in practice.

Aberdeen City Council is the Data Controller for this information about you. You can email the Council’s Data Protection Officer on or write to:
Legal and Democratic Services
Business Hub 6
Level 1 South
Marischal College
AB10 1AB

You also have the right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office. They are the body responsible for making sure organisations like the Council handle your data lawfully.

Our legal basis

Aberdeen City Council is the Data Controller for the data we hold about you in relation to your Carers Assessment. Aberdeen City Council has a statutory duty under the Social Work (Scotland) Act 1968 to carry out needs assessments for people we think may require care services, and we have a general duty to promote social welfare by providing advice, guidance, and assistance. We also have a duty under the Carers (Scotland) Act 2016 to prepare adult carer support plans for unpaid carers. This means that we understand our legal basis for processing personal information required to take referrals and undertake assessments and put in place and review care plans is Article 6(1)(c) and Article 6(1)(e) of the General Data Protection Regulation because these activities are both part of our public task, and things which we are required to do by law. The Council understands our legal basis for doing so as Article 9(2)(h) of the General Data Protection Regulation, because processing is necessary for the provision of health or social care or treatment or the management of health or social care systems and services.

Aberdeen Carers Support Service normally carry out this service on our behalf. We remain the Data Controller for your information and we make sure that they process your data appropriately through our contractual arrangements with them.

Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.