Transitional Relief – 2023-24
There are 3 different Transitional Relief schemes available for 2023-24:
General Revaluation Scheme
If you are entitled to the General Revaluation Transitional Relief, this will be automatically applied to
your account and the amount will be detailed on your bill. There is no need to apply for this relief.
The relief scheme will look at the *gross amount of Business Rates payable at 31 March 2023,
compared to the *gross amount payable at 01 April 2023 as a result of Revaluation from this date.
*Gross amount = rateable value multiplied by the rates poundage
Increases will be limited as follows:
- 12.5% for properties with a rateable value of up to £20,000 at Revaluation - 01 April 2023.
- 25% for properties with a rateable value from £20.001 - £100,000 at Revaluation - 01 April 2023.
- 37.5% for properties with a rateable value over £100,000 at Revaluation - 01 April 2023.
In order to be eligible for this relief, the property requires to have been shown in an entry on the
valuation roll on both 31 March 2023 and 1 April 2023. Properties with a nil rateable value on 1 April
2023, or which had a nil rateable value on 31 March 2023 are not eligible.
Properties which are subject to a split, merger or reorganisation on the Valuation Roll entry after 01
April 2023, will not be eligible.
Small Business Bonus Cap Scheme
Properties which no longer qualify for Small Business Bonus Relief from 01 April 2023, may qualify
for the Small Business Bonus Cap Scheme which limits the amount due for Non-Domestic Rates to a
maximum of £600.00 for 2023-24.
To qualify for the cap scheme, the following criteria must be fully met:
The property met the qualifying criteria for the General Revaluation Transitional Relief Scheme
at 01 April 2023, and
- Small Business Bonus Relief was awarded at 31 March 2023, and
- Entitlement to Small Business Bonus Relief ended on 01 April 2023 due to an increase to the
- Rateable Value as a result of Revaluation, or
- Entitlement to Small Business Bonus Relief ended on 01 April 2023 due to changes in the
- legislation which excludes relief to the following properties:
a) Properties which are used to display advertising.
b) Properties wholly or mainly used for the purposes of betting.
c) The provision of one or more car parking spaces.
An application must be made for the Small Business Bonus Cap Scheme
Parks Transitional Relief
A Parks Transitional Relief is available for parks, or parts of parks that existed but were exempt from
rating i.e not included in the Valuation Roll, which became rateable (now included in the Valuation
Roll), from 01 April 2023.
The gross rates liability will be reduced by 67% for those eligible under this scheme.
An application must be made for Parks Transitional Relief