Food exports

If you are commercially exporting food from the UK to a non-EU country it is your responsibility to ensure that you are aware of any restrictions and what export conditions apply. You need to do this before food can be exported to the third country.

In the UK, the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) is the Central Competent Authority (CCA) for international trade. They are responsible for negotiating new export markets in non-EU countries and for ensuring continued access to those export markets. For more information, see the website.

Export certification

Certain third countries will require food and drink exports to be certified before being exported. Individual countries will have specific requirements in terms of the types of documents needed for products being imported. The requirements will differ depending on the country and the specific type of product.

Local authorities have authority to sign export certificates to companies who wish to export certain food products to countries outside the EU. Local authorities mainly sign certificates for fish and shellfish products but also certify a wide range of other products, including foods not of animal origin.

How to apply

You can apply for an Export Health certificate online:

Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.