A licence is needed to operate an animal boarding establishment.
An application will consider:
- Whether the establishment is in your home or a commercial location.
- Number of animals to be kept.
- Suitability of accommodation, food and drink.
- Steps taken to prevent spread of disease.
- Adequate fire and emergency provisions.
- That a register is kept. The register should contain a description of all animals received, their arrival and departure date and the name and address of the owner. The register should be available to be inspected at any time by a local authority officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner.
The premises may be inspected by an approved officer and vet before a licence is granted.
A fee of £205 will be charged when you submit your application. You will need a credit or debit card available to make payment.
There will be an additional cost to cover vet fees. This will not be payable on submission of the application, but at a later date once a site visit is conducted.
You must not be disqualified from any of the following:
- keeping a boarding establishment
- having custody of animals
You may require planning permission.
Will tacit consent apply?
No, it is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it using the contact details below:
03000 200 292