Apply for a Blue Badge

The Blue Badge Scheme is a national scheme that allows badge holders to park closer to their destination, but the national concessions apply only to on-street parking. The scheme helps you travel independently, as either a driver or a passenger. Transport Scotland is responsible for the legislation setting out the framework for the scheme and supports local authorities to deliver the scheme.

How to apply

You can apply online:

Blue badge applications can only be made online. You can grant permission for another individual to apply on your behalf, for example a support worker, friend or family member. Correspondence can go directly to you or your preferred point of contact.

If you prefer to apply yourself but do not have internet access at home, you can visit your local library to use one of the self-service computers to apply online and to scan/photograph the supporting evidence. Please note you will need a USB device to use our scanning facilities or a USB lead to connect your device to the computer. Remember to take along copies of the documents you will need to support your application.

All applicants will need to supply the following:

  • Proof of identify (passport, driving licence, birth or marriage certificate).
  • Proof of address (council tax bill or utility bill from the last 12 months).
  • A recent digital photo (or a photo that can be scanned and uploaded) clearly showing your head and shoulders. 
  • National insurance number. 
  • Any proof of receipt of benefit or evidence you wish to submit in support of your application. See the table below for more details.

Payment is taken at the time of application and the cost is £20 to issue a badge. If your application is declined you will be refunded via the original payment method.

Eligibility criteria Supporting documents required
Registered blind Certificate of Visual Impairment (or confirm you are registered with NESS)
Higher rate mobility – Disability Living Allowance Letter of entitlement dated within the last 12 months
Personal Independence Payments and have been awarded 8 points or more in the Moving Around category or awarded 12 points in the Planning and Following Journeys category Letter of entitlement dated within the last 12 months
War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement Letter of entitlement
Armed Forces and Reserved Forces (Compensation) Scheme Letter of entitlement
Terminal illness DS1500 form if you have received it or confirm the name of your healthcare professional
Walking difficulties Any relevant correspondence you wish to submit, details of any walking aids you use
You are applying on behalf of a child under 3 who needs to be close to a vehicle Details of medical condition and equipment required
Cognitive impairment Letter of diagnosis from medical professional and details of benefits you are receiving

Please note if you are in receipt of Attendance Allowance you would not be automatically eligible for a Blue Badge.

Get support with your application

If you require dedicated support from us to apply, we can offer a face to face appointment where someone will be there to guide you through the online form. Appointments take place at our Customer Service Centre, Marischal College, Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm or at some local libraries. You can book one of these appointments by phoning our Customer Contact Centre on 03000 200 292.

More information

See the Frequently Asked Questions about Blue Badge applications page for more information. 

Would you like to give feedback about the website?