Frequently Asked Questions about Blue Badge applications

Here are some frequently asked questions about Blue Badge applications. Click on a question to see the answer.

You’re automatically eligible for a Blue Badge and you will be awarded a blue badge without the need for further assessment if you meet any of the following criteria and can provide proof if you:

  • Are registered as blind.
  • Get the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA).
  • Get Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and scored 8 points or more in the ‘moving around’ area of your assessment.
  • Get War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement.
  • Received a lump sum payment as part of the Armed Forces Compensation scheme (tariffs 1 to 8), and have been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability.
  • If you have a terminal illness and have been issued with a DS1500 from your healthcare professional.

You may be entitled to a Blue Badge and will be required to undertake further assessment if you:

  • Have problems walking that are permanent, or that your doctor says are likely to last at least a year.
  • Can't use your arms.
  • Are applying on behalf of a child aged over 2 who has problems walking, or a child under 3 who needs to be close to a vehicle because of a health condition.
  • Have no awareness of danger from traffic and be likely to compromise your safety, or the safety of others, as a result of a diagnosed mental disorder or cognitive impairment and are in receipt of at least one of the following –
  1. The higher or middle rate of the care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA).
  2. The higher or lower rate of Attendance Allowance (AA).
  3. Have been awarded at least eight points for the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) activities: Activity 7 – Communicating Verbally; Activity 8 – Reading and Understanding Signs, Symbols and Words; Activity 9 – Engaging with Other People. Points can be accumulated from each of these activities..

Yes. The Blue Badge is for anyone who is eligible, not just those who can drive.

Depending on your eligibility criteria you will need to bring the following supporting evidence:

If you are automatically entitled

For all applications you will need to supply your proof of identity (passport, driving licence, birth or marriage certificate), your proof of address (council tax bill or utility bill from the last 12 months) and a recent digital photo (or a photo that can be scanned and uploaded) clearly showing your head and shoulders.

If you are registered as Blind (severely sight Impaired)

You will need to supply a copy of your Certificate of Visual Impairment (CVI). If you are registered with North East Sensory Services (NESS) you do not need to provide this proof.

If you receive the Higher Rate Mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance

You need to supply a copy of your letter of entitlement dated within the last 12 months showing your name and address. If you don’t have this letter or it is out of date, please contact the Department for Work and Pensions on 0800 121 4600 to request a replacement.

If you receive Personal Independence Payments and have been awarded 8 points or more in the Moving Around category

You need to supply a copy of your letter of entitlement dated within the last 12 months showing your name, address, end date of your benefit and your moving around score. If you don’t have this letter or it is out of date, please contact the Department for Work & Pensions on 0800 121 4433 to request a replacement.

If you receive a War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement

You need to supply a copy of your letter from the Service Personnel Veterans Agency (SPVA) or Veterans UK. If you do not have this letter, please call 08081 914 218 to request a replacement.

If you receive a lump sum benefit under the Armed Forces and Reserved Forces (Compensation) Scheme within tariff levels 1-8 and have been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability that causes inability, or considerable difficulty, to walk

You need to supply a copy of your award letter from the SPVA or Veterans UK. If you do not have this letter, please call them on 08081 914 218 to request a replacement.

If you are applying under the terminal illness criteria

If you haven’t received your DS1500 we can still progress your application without you uploading this document.

If you are eligible under the automatic criteria or you are a current blue badge holder and the Independent Mobility Assesor has advised that you do not require reassessment upon renewal then we aim to have your application processed within 10 working days.

If you have applied under any other criteria, your application will be passed onto the Independent Mobility Assessor. There is currently a 16 week waiting list for a desktop assessment. If after desktop assessment your application requires a face to face assessment you will be contacted by the Independent Mobility Assessor to confirm an appointment with you. Due to current volumes it can take up to 22 weeks for a face to face assessment to be undertaken. 

We will only ask you the questions related to your eligibility criteria which will help the Independent Mobility Assessor correctly assess your need.

If you are applying because you are unable to walk or find walking very difficult due to a medical condition, we will ask you to describe your health condition that affects your walking ability. We will ask you about walking journeys you undertake, whether you use any walking aids and any pain and/or breathlessness you experience whilst walking. You will also be given the opportunity to list any related medication you may be taking and any treatment you are receiving or are due to receive along with the name of your healthcare professional and/or GP. You are also able to upload letters from your healthcare professional or GP if you so wish.

No. Only one badge is issued per person. If you regularly travel in more than one car it is the badge holders responsibility to move the badge from car to car.

Yes, you need to complete an application every time you wish to renew your current badge. The reason you need to re-apply is that we are required by law to reassess every applicant and to determine if they are still eligible for a Blue Badge, under the Scheme criteria. Reassessment will also reduce the risk of fraudulent misuse.

If you require dedicated support from us to apply, we can offer a telephone appointment where someone will support you with your application. You can book one of these appointments by phoning our Customer Contact Centre on 03000 200 292.

Once the IMA receives your application, they will complete a ‘desk top assessment’ first. This is where they look at the information you provided and any other medical evidence (for e.g. letter from GP or consultant) that you have included. It is important to put as much information as possible within your application. The information provided on the application is assessed in line with guidance from Transport Scotland and it is from this that the IMA can either award the blue badge or invite you in for a face to face assessment.

The Independent Mobility Assessor is a fully qualified occupational therapist or physiotherapist. Occupational therapists (OT) and physiotherapists are best placed to independently assess a person’s eligibility. They possess specialised professional knowledge of mobility impairments and can use their evaluation of the rehabilitation potential and capacity of individuals when making decisions.

The Independent Mobility Assessor is currently prioritising those applicants who's face to face appointments were either cancelled or not allocated as a result of the Coronavirus.  

Face to face appointments are currently being held remotely using a video conferencing platform called NearMe. Applicants will be contacted prior to an appointment being sent to establish whether the applicant has access to a smart phone/laptop/tablet or computer that has a camera enabled secondly whether the applicant is comfortable using video call as a means to carry out a blue badge assessment.  

If the applicant is happy to proceed with a video assessment than they will be contacted via email with a date and time for the video assessment and information on how to access the NearMe video conferencing platform.  

 If video assessment is not an option for the applicant, the Independent Mobility Assessor will carry out a telephone assessment. It may not be able to obtain all the necessary information to complete the assessment via telephone and if that is the case, the assessment would have to be completed in person when an appropriate level of assessment could be undertaken or in some cases where reasonable a temporary badge could be issued until current restrictions are lifted.  

We won’t be able to tell you the outcome of the assessment on the day of your assessment. However, you will receive an email notifying you within 10 working days.

You must appeal the decision within 30 days of receiving notification, either by email to or by post to Customer Applications Team Marischal College, Business Hub 16, Aberdeen, AB10 1AB.

Once you apply to appeal the decision a senior occupational therapist will undertake the review of your assessment and contact you with their decision. We aim to contact you within 20 working days of the outcome.

No. The badge is for the badge holder's use and benefit only. It may only be displayed if the badge holder is travelling in the vehicle as a driver or passenger. It is fraudulent to use a Blue Badge if you are not the Blue Badge holder. Anyone caught using the badge fraudulently may be reported to the Procurator Fiscal and may incur a fine of up to £1,000.

There is no law stating that Blue Badge holders should be allowed to park outside their own property on a public road. Therefore, please rely on the common courtesy of your neighbours. If you have a Blue Badge you can apply for a parking space closer to your residence:

You can request a replacement online:

Please report lost badges to the police in case any have been handed. If you think you might have lost it on public transport, get in touch with the public transport company.

You can request a replacement online:

If your Blue Badge is stolen, you should report it to the police who will give you a crime reference number. You must provide this number when you request a replacement badge

Please hand in your damaged badge to one of the following Customer Service Centres to be destroyed before a new one is issued: 

Marischal College Customer Service Centre

You can also post damaged badges to:

Marischal College Customer Service Centre
Ground Floor
Marischal College
Broad Street
AB10 1AB

You can dispose of securely at home or post your expired badges to:

Marischal College Customer Service Centre
Ground Floor
Marischal College
Broad Street
Aberdeen AB10 1AB

 You do not need to inform us if you have moved. When it is time to apply for your renewal you can update your address. If you have moved out of Aberdeen City you can continue to use your badge until it is time for renewal but upon renewal you must apply through your new local authority. 

Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.