Community asset transfer

Under the Community Empowerment (Scotland) Act 2015, community groups can request to take over publicly-owned land or buildings if they feel they can make better use of them for the local community.

Community groups have the right to make an Asset Transfer Request for ownership, lease, management or use of a publicly owned building or land, regardless of whether it is available for sale or considered surplus to requirements.

We assess all requests against a specified list of criteria, and we will agree to the request unless there are reasonable grounds for refusal.

You can download a list of all our properties below. This list includes properties we run, properties run by other organisations on our behalf and vacant properties.

How to make a request

If you would like to make a community asset transfer request, we encourage you to submit an expression of interest as a first step. This helps us to understand your interest in the property, direct you to appropriate support and provide you with a contact who can help you access any information that you need to in order to submit a complete formal asset transfer application.


Download the expression of interest form: 

Download the asset transfer application form: 


Current requests

Tillydrone Library and Family Centre 

See the documents relating to this request

Completed requests

Woodside Burgh Hall

See the documents relating to this request.

Contact details

Estates Team
Corporate Landlord
Aberdeen City Council
Business Hub 10
Second Floor South
Marischal College 
Broad Street
AB10 1AB

01224 523064

Would you like to give feedback about the website?