Your data: Planning for your child in Education

How we use your information

Aberdeen City Council (ACC) creates different types of plans to support your child while they are in education. This involves collecting personal data and information about your child’s circumstances. The plan might be referred to as an Educational Plan which may include a Child’s Plan and/or an Individual Education Plan (IEP). 

We use the information in the plan about your child to helps us to assess, plan, coordinate and quality assure the supports available to your child. All of this is done in partnership with you including any decision made. In some cases, information will be added to our records using automated processing, to speed up the time it takes to deal with simple processes. Decisions about your child are not made using automated decision-making.

Who we share information with

We will only share information (other than in child protection situations) in order to access support from one or more partners agreed with you, which may include NHS Grampian, ACC Children’s Social Work, the Children’s Reporter and voluntary agencies, or where there is a legal duty to do so. We will share information with HM Inspectors for quality assurance purposes. 

How long we keep your information for

We will keep this information for a period of 5 years from the maximum school leaving age of your child, as required by The Pupils’ Educational Records (Scotland) Regulations 2003, unless we have a legal responsibility to keep the information for a longer period of time. 

If your child is or has been looked after by the local authority, we will keep the information for 100 years from the child becoming 18. This may be looked after at home, in a residential home, or through a kinship/foster carer placement. 

We will keep anonymised data beyond this period for the purposes of auditing service provision and quality assurance.

Your rights

You have rights in relation to your data including the right to ask for a copy of it. See more information about all of the rights you have and details of how to contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer. 

You also have the right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office. They are the body responsible for making sure organisations like the Council handle your data lawfully.

Our legal basis

Aberdeen City Council is the Data Controller for this information about your child. Wherever the Council processes personal data, we need to make sure we have a legal basis for doing so in law. The Council understands our legal basis for processing personal data in relation to planning for your child in education as part of our public task under the Education (Scotland) Act 1980, Education (Additional Support for Learning) (Scotland) Act 2004 and the Children and Young People (Scotland) Act 2014. 

In carrying out this function the Council is also likely to process special categories of personal data. The Council understands our legal basis for doing so as because processing is necessary for reasons of substantial public interest.

Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.