Your data: family history research

How we use your information

Aberdeen City Council collects the information about you to process and confirm bookings for family history research and to record usage of the service. In this way we can provide you with access to the search room for research purposes and contact you if we have a query. 

How long we keep your information for

We will keep this information until the end of the current year plus a further 3 years.

Your rights

You’ve got legal rights about the way the Council handles and uses your data, which include the right to ask for a copy of it, and to ask us to stop doing something with your data. Please contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer by email at or write to:

Data Protection Officer
Marischal College
AB10 1AB

See more information about all of the rights you have. You also have the right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner's Office. They are the body responsible for making sure organisations like the Council handle your data lawfully.

Our legal basis

Aberdeen City Council is the Data Controller for the information you provide. Wherever we process personal information we have to make sure we have a basis for doing so in Data Protection Law. The table below sets out the Council’s legal basis for each of the data processing activities we carry out.

Data processing activity Purpose Legal basis Relevant law
Providing a public service whereby members of the public can search the registers To facilitate family history research Article 6(1)(e) Undertaking our public tasks as a Local Authority Local Electoral Administration and Registration Services (Scotland) Act 2006
Collection and use of personal data of customers using the service To provide customers with research services Article 6(1)(b) To fulfil a contract, or steps at pre-contract stage Local Electoral Administration and Registration Services (Scotland) Act 2006
Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.