Your data: booking a Registrar to conduct a wedding or civil partnership ceremony

How we use your data

Aberdeen City Council collects your personal data in order to provide a Registrar to carry and register the ceremony. We will use your personal data to maintain our records and to administer your bookings. We may use your information to verify your identity. We may correspond with you by post, email or telephone. Please see details of how to make an appointment and what forms are required at Civil partnerships, civil marriages and weddings.

Local Authority Registrars act on behalf of the Registrar General for Scotland and are required by law to register life events in statutory registers, which are transferred to the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh every year and are retained permanently. Please see the National Records of Scotland Registration Privacy Notice.

We are legally obliged to safeguard public funds so we are required to verify and check your details internally for fraud prevention. We may share this information with other public bodies (and also receive information from these other bodies) for fraud checking purposes. We are also legally obliged to share certain data with other public bodies, such as HMRC and will do so where the law requires this. We will also generally comply with requests for specific information from other regulatory and law enforcement bodies where this is necessary and appropriate. We may share information with the Home Office or other immigration authorities and Police Scotland.

Where you provide customer feedback to us this will be analysed internally to help us improve our services.

How long we keep your information for

We will retain records relating to the administration of your ceremony until the end of the current year plus a further 3 years.

Your rights

You’ve got legal rights about the way the Council handles and uses your data, which include the right to ask for a copy of it. You can email the Council’s Data Protection Officer on or write to:

Legal and Democratic Services
Business Hub 6
Level 1 South
Marischal College
AB10 1AB

See more information about all of the rights you have. You also have the right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office. They are the body responsible for making sure organisations like the Council handle your data lawfully.

Our legal basis

Aberdeen City Council is the Data Controller for your information. Wherever we are processing personal information we need to make sure we have a legal basis in data protection law. The Council understands our legal basis for processing personal data for the purposes of providing Marriage or Civil Partnership Ceremonies as Article 6(1)(c) of the General Data Protection Regulation, as we undertake these ceremonies in line with our statutory obligations set out in the Marriage Scotland Act 1977 and the Civil Partnership Act 2004.

Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.