Apply for free bus travel

Under the Accord card scheme anyone aged 60 and over and many disabled people who live in Scotland are able to travel free on any local bus and scheduled long distance coach service in Scotland any time throughout the day. You need to have your Accord Card in order to take advantage of the scheme.

Full information can be found on the Transport Scotland website.

If you have any questions on the application process or who qualifies for free bus travel, please contact any of the customer access points given below.

How to apply

You can apply for an Accord Card at any of the offices below. If you have any enquiries, please contact

Staff at the Customer Access Points and Area Offices will help you with your Accord / National Entitlement Card application. All sites are open Mon–Fri from 8:30am until 5pm.

If you are applying for Over 60 free bus travel, you can now complete your personal details online and even upload a photo if you wish.

Once you have completed the online application, you will need to come to one of the Customer Access Points/The Customer Service Centre to have your application verified.  In support of your application we may need to take your photograph and you may be asked to provide the following information:

  • Proof of age
  • Proof of address



Using the new Accord card / National Entitlement card

When travelling on the bus, you should place your card on the card reader which is part of the ticketing machine. This will allow your journey to be accurately recorded by the bus driver.

Companion concessions 

If you are 5 years of age or over, and your mobility is such that you require to be accompanied when travelling, you can apply for a Companion Concessionary Card.  In order to qualify for this entitlement, you must fall into one of the following categories:

  • In receipt of higher or middle rate of the care component of Disability Living Allowance;
  • In receipt of Attendance Allowance;
  • Registered as blind;
  • Live in a care/residential or hospital and are eligible for higher or
  • middle rate of the care component of Disability Living Allowance or Attendance Allowance.

If you meet the above criteria this allows both you and one companion to travel free of charge together for the same journey by bus. The companion can vary from journey to journey but they must board and alight the bus at the same locations as you. There is no requirement for your companion to be with you on all journeys you make. You have the choice of whether to travel on your own or with a companion.

Replacement Accord card / National Entitlement card

Should you require your Accord card to be replaced as it has either been lost, stolen, damaged, or is faulty you must advise us as soon as possible.

Where your card has been either lost or stolen you should phone the Accord office (03000 200 293) to report this.  If you have lost your card we recommend you check with a couple of other organisations before calling us to see if it has been found and handed in: these organisations are;

  • First Aberdeen
    47, Union Street, Aberdeen
    Tel: (01224) 650074/ or 650065
  • Grampian Police, Lost Property Department
    Queen Street, Aberdeen
    Tel: 0845 6005700

If neither of these organisations have received your lost card, then please phone the Accord office (03000 200 293) to arrange for a replacement to be issued.  Please note, once you have requested a replacement card, should you then find you old card before you receive your replacement card please call the Accord office (03000 200 293) to advise us.  If the replacement card has not yet been produced then you will be able to continue to use your existing card.  However, if we have already produced a replacement card for you, you will not be able to use your old card as the replacement card will automatically supersede your old card, making the old card redundant.

Where your card has been damaged or may be faulty, you must take your card to your nearest customer access point (details above) to report this.

If you use the card on the bus and it is faulty, the bus driver will ask to take the card from you. This card is sent to national operators of the scheme Transport Scotland for testing. The driver will issue you with a 7 day ticket that will give you the same ability to travel as your card and advise you to contact your local to request a replacement card. If you do not wish to hand over your card the driver is entitled to ask you to pay your fare

When a replacement card is produced for you, it will be sent directly to your home address if there is no charge for the replacement.  You should receive your replacement card within 7 to 10 working days.

Changes in circumstances

There are three situations where you circumstances may change that you must report to us: these are;

  • You have changed address
  • Your name has changed
  • Your concessionary travel entitlement has changed

In order to confirm the change in your address, if you are liable for council tax at your new address we can verify this over phone by checking council tax records. If this is not the case you must bring in person to one of the offices stated above documentary evidence of the change, e.g. utility bill / bank statement showing your new address, or an award letter from the Benefits Agency confirming your new entitlement to Disability Living Allowance.

Where either your name or entitlement has changed, we will require proof of your name change e.g. Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate or confirmation of change by deed poll.

If your entitlement has change we would require the updated evidence e.g. an award letter from the Benefits Agency confirming your new entitlement to Disability Living Allowance.



Would you like to give feedback about the website?