Bus lanes and bus gates
There are bus lanes on various main routes throughout the city. The only vehicles allowed to use a bus lane when it is in operation are buses, taxis, private hire vehicles and bicycles.
Signs before the start of the bus lane show the times when it is in operation. Outwith these times, any vehicle can use the bus lane.
The dedicated bus lane on Auchmill Road is in operation 24 hours a day, seven days a week, so there is no sign required.
The purpose of the bus lanes is to:
- Improve traffic flow.
- Improve journey times.
- Encourage the use of public transport.
- Improve air quality.
Only buses may pass through a bus gate. Bus gates are located on:
- Broad Street(local buses only)
- Bedford Road
- Shielhill Avenue(Dubford) (also open to taxis)
- Lang Stracht.
The bus gates are operational 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Bus lane enforcement charge notices
If you drive in a bus lane during the times of operation or through a bus gate at any time, your vehicle registration details will be captured on camera. We will then ask the DVLA for details of the registered keeper of the vehicle. We will issue a bus lane enforcement charge notice to the registered keeper.
The notice will show:
- The registration number of the vehicle involved in the alleged contravention.
- When the alleged contravention occurred
- Why we believe a charge is payable.
- How much the charge is.
- That the charge must be paid within 28 days.
- That you can appeal within 28 days if you have grounds to do so.
Would you like to give feedback about the website?