Private Tenants – advice and support

Landlord Registration

All private landlords are legally required to register with their local authority.  You can check to see if your landlord is registered through the Landlord Registration Scotland website.

If you cannot find your landlords details on the Landlord Registration website, please email details to our team: 

Landlords in Scotland are legally required to hold an HMO Licence if they accommodate 3 or more unrelated persons who share kitchen and or bathroom facilities. If you believe that you are living in an HMO you can check to see if your Landlord holds an HMO Licence through the HMO Register.

If you cannot find your landlords details on the HMO Register, please email details to our team: 



If you have received a Rent Penalty Notice, please visit our FAQ section as this may answer any queries.

All landlords who register with a local authority and take a deposit from a tenant must comply with requirements of the Tenancy Deposit Schemes (Scotland) Regulations 2011. 

A landlord must register the tenants deposit within 30 working days of the tenancy starting with one of the following three approved schemes: 

Landlords must provide tenants with information on which scheme their deposit is lodged with. If a deposit is not submitted to a scheme and information is not provided, tenants can apply to the Housing and Property Chamber - First-Tier Tribunal for Scotland against you for non-compliance with the Regulations. 

If the First-tier Tribunal is satisfied that your landlord has failed to comply, they must order your landlord to pay you up to three times the amount of the deposit. If you move out of your home before realising that your landlord has not complied with the Regulations, you will have up to three months after the tenancy has ended to make an application. 

Under most circumstances, Tenancies issued after 1 December 2017 should be Private Residential Tenancy Agreement. This is an open-ended tenancy and will last until you wish to leave the property, or your landlord uses one (or more) of the 18 grounds for eviction. If your landlord has called the tenancy something else, you will still have the protection of Private Residential Tenancy terms. 

Your landlord must provide you with written terms of your tenancy and the relevant set of notes- either electronically or as a paper copy:

If your landlord has not supplied you with the written terms of your tenancy, the correct supporting notes or updated terms within 28 days of a change, you can serve your landlord a notice requesting these documents. Further information visit: Private residential tenancy: information for tenants

Your landlord has a duty to repair and maintain the property from the tenancy start date and throughout the tenancy. A privately rented property must meet the Repairing Standard.  For more information visit: Repairing Standard.

As a tenant you should provide access to allow repairs to be carried out. Unless in an emergency, your landlord should give you at least 24 hours’ notice before a repair takes place.

If you think that your property does not meet the Repairing Standard, you can lodge an application with The First Tier Tribunal for a decision on whether your landlord has failed to meet requirements. 

Before you can make an application to The First-Tier Tribunal, you must notify your landlord that the work needs to be done and give your landlord reasonable time to complete the work. Repair requests must be made in writing as this may later be used as evidence should you have to proceed to making an application. Should your landlord fail to carry out the repairs in a reasonable timescale you can then make an application to The First-tier Tribunal who will then investigate your complaint.   

Please complete the Tenant Complaint form if you are having issues with property repairs and/or property management that you cannot resolve with your Landlord/Letting Agent.

Your data: private tenant complaints

Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.