Private Landlord Registration

Private landlords are required to apply for registration with their local authority under Part 8 of the Antisocial Behaviour etc. (Scotland) Act 2004. Operating as an unregistered landlord is a criminal offence which may be subject to a penalty on conviction of up to £50,000 and a ban on letting properties of up to 5 years.

Coronavirus update for Landlords

The Scottish Government has issued guidance for landlords in order to help support tenants and landlords who may find themselves in financial difficulty due to Coronavirus (Covid-19) .

In order to protect tenants from eviction the Scottish Government are taking action to produce a temporary change to legislation to amend grounds for eviction under the Private Residential Tenancy from 3 months to 6 months. 

Please encourage your tenants to speak to you as soon as they are having difficulties paying their rent. There is a host of financial support that may be available to them including Statutory Sick Pay, Universal Credit, Discretionary Housing Payment and the Scottish Welfare Fund.

Coronavirus: guidance for private land lords and letting agents

Please read the full update from the Scottish Government below:


Please make sure you are aware of your obligations as a landlord before you register or renew. You may be asked to show certain certificates as evidence. Download the prescribed information to find out more about your landlord obligations:

Apply to Register as a Landlord online at the Landlord Registration Website:

Alternatively request a paper application by emailing: 

Joint owners (anyone else who is named on the Title Deeds) must register separately. 

If your registration is approved, a confirmation email with your Landlord Registration number and expiry date will be sent.Your registration is valid for three years from the approval date. Your landlord registration number must be displayed on all rental advertisements.  If you use a Letting Agent, please supply them with your landlord registration number.

In accordance with the Legislation for the Regulation of Private Landlords under the Antisocial Behaviour etc (Scotland) Act 2004 all landlords have a legal obligation to maintain their registration details and keep them current at all times. You must also notify us (in writing or by email) of any change in circumstance (e.g. change of address, adding or deleting properties, no longer practicing as a landlord). Failure to do so is an offence under the Act.

It is our legal obligation to maintain the register and to provide advice and assistance relevant to the registration scheme. It is not our responsibility to maintain your registration details.


Renewals can be submitted online by logging into your existing account through the Landlord Registration Website.

Alternatively request a paper application by emailing: 

Joint owners must register separately. Another owner cannot apply to be registered or renew an existing registration on behalf of other owners. If a second or subsequent owner fails to renew their registration in time the Late Fee will be payable.

If your renewal application is approved, a confirmation email with your updated expiry date will be sent.

You must keep your contact details up to date as this information will be used to remind you to renew your registration at 3 months and 1 month before your current registration expires.

To update your details access your account online through the Landlord Registration Website.

To add a property to your existing registration, log onto the Landlord Registration Website by selecting ‘Existing Landlords’ using your landlord registration number. Select the option Update to add the property. The fee to add a property is £15.00 per property.

Landlord registration fees are: 

  • Principal fee: £67
  • Property fee: £15 (per let property) (no increase)
  • Late application fee: £133

Discounts are available for:

  • Landlords who own properties in more than one local authority area
  • Joint owners
  • Landlords who have a House of Multiple Occupancy (HMO) license
  • Scottish charities

To find out more about landlord registration, visit the website.

Aberdeen City Council work with Landlord Accreditation Scotland and Aberdeenshire Council to ensure that everyone working in the Private Rented Sector has the opportunity to keep up to date with the ever-changing legislation relevant to landlords and agents.

To benefit from the most up to date information and to hear about how to include best practice within the day to day management of rental properties, come along to one of the training and information events. Download the leaflet below for more information:

Renting Scotland - Landlord Information 

Under One Roof, with generous support from SafeDeposits Scotland Charitable Trust, is again hosting a series of webinars to give you interactive, free, and independent information you can use to address the issues faced by landlords and letting agents of tenements in Scotland. Find out more about this information session.

Register for the one-hour sessions, where you'll be able to ask experts about general issues related to tenement buildings, and specific issues related to your flat.

Landlord Registration Unit
Aberdeen City Council
Business Hub 6
First Floor South
Marischal College
Broad Street
AB10 1AB

03000 200 292

Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 5pm

Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.