Ending your tenancy

You can end your tenancy agreement in one of the following ways:

By notice:

  • You, together with any other joint tenant(s) give us at least four weeks (28 days) written notice. You must tell us at the same time if you are married or if you live in the house with another person as your partner. If you do, their agreement may also be required.

Aberdeen City Council tenancies run on a week to week basis from Monday to Sunday, the termination date will be the Sunday after the 28 day notice period.

By written agreement:

  • By written agreement between you, any joint tenant(s) and us. You must tell us at the same time if you are married or if you live in the house with another person as your partner. If you do, their agreement may also be required.

The easiest way to tell us you are terminating your tenancy is online. Please register or log on to Housing Online. If required, you can notify your Housing and Support Officer that you wish to terminate your tenancy. They will help you arrange an appointment to complete the Termination form.

As part of your current tenancy agreement, you should do the following when preparing to leave the property:

  • Leave the house and in a clean and tidy condition;
  • Remove all your belongings;
  • Make sure any lodgers or sub-tenants leave with you;
  • Allow us access to your house before you move out, at reasonable times, to show new tenants round and to carry out a pre vacation inspection;
  • Hand in your keys to the housing office;
  • Remove any fixtures and fittings you have installed without written permission and put right any damage caused;
  • Check with us to make sure you have paid all payments due to us;
  • Apply for any compensation you may be entitled to;*
  • Leave the house in good decorative order;
  • Do the repairs you are obliged to do;
  • Give us a forwarding address.

*If you have made alterations or improvements with our permission, you may be entitled to compensation at the end of your tenancy under regulations governing such arrangements. We also have the power, even if you do not qualify under these regulations, to make a discretionary payment.

End of Tenancy Visits 

After you have submitted your intention to terminate, we will visit your home to provide information on vacating your house and a suitable appointment will be made for the officer to return on the last day of your tenancy to collect the keys. If this appointment has not been made, please contact us on 03000 200 292 (option 2) to arrange a date and time. You will no longer be required to return keys to one of our offices.


All keys, including those for cellars, bin stores and window lock keys, etc, must be returned to the Council. If we have not been able to meet you at the property on the last day of your tenancy, keys must be returned to your local Housing Office by 12 noon on the day following the termination date. We have recorded how many keys were issued at the start of your tenancy. If you do not return all keys which were issued to you at the start and during the tenancy we will change the locks and send you an invoice for the associated costs.

Changing the locks is our way of maximising the security of the new tenant.

Laundry cards

Where applicable, laundry cards can be returned with the keys.

Gas and electricity

Any cards or keys can be left in the property.

Fixtures and fittings

All original fixtures and fittings should remain unless prior consent has been given for the removal or replacement.

House clearance

You can arrange the uplift of large items. Residents who are in receipt of certain benefits are given a reduced rate for collections. Council tenants can arrange to have up to four items collected free of charge during a year running from April to April. Items which can be collected include: beds, mattresses, furniture, cookers and electrical items. Other items such as carpets, sheds and greenhouses will be charged separately.

If a tenant has died, there is a two-week clearance period given to allow for the property to be cleared. This clearance period is rent free. If the family/executors require further time, this can be reviewed on a case by case basis. If the family/executors are unable to clear the tenant's belongings, the property will be cleared and the estate charged. 


If your property is left in a poor condition or if it requires remedial works as a result of your occupation, you will be invoiced (or recharged) for the cost of putting things right.

You will also be charged if you leave household items and furnishings in the property.

There are two main charitable organisations operating in Aberdeen which will be happy to receive donations of suitable household furniture and white goods.

Somebody Cares Warehouse
80 Summerhill Road
AB15 6EE

01224 200 197

If you have furniture, food or other useful items you could donate, please drop it in to them, or call 01224 200 197 to arrange a collection.

Opening times: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday 8.30am to 4pm for drop offs.

Instant Neighbour,
Instant Neighbour House
5 St Machar Drive
AB24 3YJ

01224 489 955

Please help them by donating:

  • Double beds
  • Single beds
  • Single wardrobes
  • Chest of drawers
  • Bedside cabinets
  • Bedding
  • Suites and armchairs
  • Coffee tables
  • Curtains
  • Kitchen tables and chairs
  • Dishes, cutlery and pans

Please note that all items of soft furniture must have the BS 7177 dated 1996 or beyond safety label attached. We are unable to accept any soft furniture without that label attached. This includes mattresses, sofas, chairs (including the padded seats of dining chairs), and suites.

They do not accept:

  • Large wardrobes
  • Display cabinets
  • Large dining room tables and chairs
  • TV and video units
  • Televisions
Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.