Unoccupied and unfurnished property

This applies to properties which are unoccupied and unfurnished, i.e. all movable items must be taken out of the property (white goods are not classed as furniture). If any movable items are left in the property then exemption will not apply e.g. wardrobes, tables, sofas etc. This exemption usually applies when a property has been left empty after the former occupant has moved on. Exemption can be given for up to 6 months from the date the property became unoccupied, but the property must remain unfurnished throughout this period. After the 6 month period a 10% discount shall be awarded for a further 6 months, thereafter, the discount will end and a 100% additional Council Tax charge will apply.

Please note that the 10% discount does not apply to the water and waste water charges included in your Council Tax bill.

This exemption is based on the length of time the property has been empty regardless of who the owner is, so if the property has been empty and unfurnished prior to your claim we may be unable to award you the full 6 months exemption.

A new award of unoccupied and unfurnished exemption can only be applied if the property is occupied for a period of more than 3 months between awards.

Unoccupied and unfurnished properties which are actively being marketed for sale or rent can receive a maximum period of 18 months of 10% Discount, thereafter, the discount will end and a 100% additional Council Tax charge will apply.

Evidence required 

  • Actively being marketed for sale: A copy of the Home Report and information of where it is being advertised for this purpose.
  • Actively being marketed for rent: Information of where it is being advertised for this purpose and a copy of the advertisement.

 Evidence will be checked and a visit to your property may be undertaken.

How to apply

Apply online

Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.