Apply for carriageway markings outside an access or a driveway

Carriageway markings outside access points or driveways (also known as H markings) are reserved for sites where there is frequent obstruction of an access point. These road markings are designed to make motorists aware that there is a dropped kerb or vehicle access point in that section of road.

Further information

  • The marking is only intended to mark out the width of the driveway, so will only be provided from a point where the kerbs start sloping down (usually 1 metre from the edge of the driveway).
  • H markings are advisory road markings and have no legal significance, and parking on them is not, in itself, an offence.
  • The police can only take action if an obstruction takes place when a vehicle is required to be taken in or out of the driveway or access point.

Cost and maintenance

  • We charge £198 to provide the new marking. You can pay this through our online portal once your application has been approved.
  • You will not have to pay if you hold a current Blue Badge. However, the Blue Badge holder must live at the property where the road marking is to be installed.
  • You must pay all future maintenance costs. Maintenance work must be carried out by our approved contractor. To request repainting of existing carriageway markings, please complete the application form again. There will be a charge of £180 for repainting.
  • The markings only last for around one year when when they are applied to granite setts. In these conditions maintenance costs will be higher.


Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.