Apply for carriageway markings outside access or a driveway
The carriageway markings on outside access or driveways (also known as H markings) are reserved for those sites where there is a persistent problem, with frequent obstruction of an access. These road markings are designed to make motorists aware that there is dropped kerb or vehicular access point in that section of road.
- The marking is only intended to mark out the width of the driveway, and as such will only be provided from a point where the kerbs start sloping down (usually 1 metre from the edge of the driveway).
- H markings are advisory road markings and have no legal significance, and parking on them is not, in itself, an offence.
- The Police can only take action if an obstruction takes place when a vehicle is required to be taken in or out of the driveway or access.
Cost and maintenance
- Aberdeen City Council can provide the new marking, for which there is a charge of £180. This will be charged through our online portal once the application has been approved.
- Please note that if you hold a current Blue Badge there will be no cost to the applicant. However, the Blue Badge holder must reside at the dwelling to where the road marking is to be instated.
- All future maintenance costs are to be borne by the applicant, with any maintenance work being carried out by a contractor approved by the Council. To request repainting of existing carriageway markings, please complete the application form again. There will be a charge of £180 for repainting.
- It should be noted that the markings when applied to granite setts have a short life, in the order of one year at most, and in these conditions maintenance costs will be higher.
Would you like to give feedback about the website?