Scheme of assistance grants

The Private Sector Housing Unit provide advice on the availability of scheme of assistance grants. We also administer the process of approving grant applications and making payment of grants. 

Adaptations for people with disabilities

A grant at a minimum of 80% of eligible costs may be available to adapt an existing private house to meet the needs of an occupant who is disabled. A grant of 100% may be available if you receive certain benefits.

If you would like to apply for a grant, please complete a referral form for the Bon Accord Care Occupational Therapy Service so that your personal requirements can be assessed. The form is available on the Bon Accord Care web page or by using the Bon Accord Care form.   

If you would like more information about the grant itself, please contact the Private Sector Housing Unit. Please see the bottom of this page for contact details. 

Council and housing association tenants may also be offered help through a different financial arrangement. Please contact the Duty Occupational Therapist using the contact details above.

The Scottish Government have published a leaflet aimed at disabled people living in private housing in Scotland. The leaflet summarises the changes to the system of financial assistance:


A grant may be available for remedial works relating to non-mains private water supplies which environmental protection staff deem not to comply with the Private Water Supplies (Scotland) Regulations 2006. Typically, non-complying supplies may contain excessive concentrations of harmful bacteria or detrimental levels of chemical contaminants. Remedial works can include, for example, installing ultra-violet filtration systems to remove bacteria, but does not include connection to the public mains supply where this is considered appropriate.

Contact the Environmental Health team on 03000 200 292 for details of private water supplies in the Aberdeen City area.

Care and repair

Aberdeen Care and Repair Aberdeen Care and Repair is a voluntary organisation which provides free advice and technical assistance to clients about repairs,  improvements and adaptations in their homes. They cater for people who are over the age of 60 and/or suffer from some form of disability or chronic ill health.
They offer the following services: 

  • Handyman service. 
  • Free Home Safety Assessment
  • Minor Adaptation Service 
  • The Affordable Warmth Scheme, which provides low interest loans for improving energy efficiency within the home
  • A free, confidential and personal service to help anyone in Aberdeen living with dementia/ and or mental health to live safely within their own home.

Please phone Aberdeen Care and Repair on 01224 251133 to find out more about any of these services. 


SCARF can provide information on how to get a grants for insulation works and details on energy advice issues:

Aberdeen & North East Energy Efficiency Advice Centre 
1 Cotton Street
Freephone 0808 129 0888 
01224 213005

For more information on energy saving measures such as insulation, energy efficient boilers please contact:

Energy Management Team
Corporate Landlord
Aberdeen City Council
01224 522016  

Aberdeen City Heritage Trust

Aberdeen City Heritage Trust may be able to provide financial assistance to owners of buildings, for example listed buildings and buildings in conservation areas.

For more information contact:

Douglas Campbell
Project Officer
01224 522755


For the Private Sector Housing Unit

Contact us
Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.