Landlord energy performance certificates

All private landlords must provide new tenants with an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).

The EPC for homes will be similar to those used for white goods. They will have an energy rating of between A and G, with A being the most energy efficient and G needing to use the most energy. The certificate will also give information on which, if any, of the basic energy saving measures could be installed in that property to reduce the fuel use, for example loft insulation or cavity wall insulation.  To see what the EPC will look like please click on the link below:

The energy certificate will have to be displayed in each rental property you own, for example next to the gas or electricity meter, and copies will have to be given to all potential tenants before they decide whether or not to move into the property.

The better the energy rating the lower the fuel costs for the tenant – and fuel prices keep going up. So it is expected that when energy ratings are available from January 2009 on all rented properties on the market, potential tenants will actively choose to move into the more energy efficient, rather than the less energy efficient homes. There is a real incentive for them to make such a choice as it will directly save them money on the fuel bills.

As the landlord, you will be responsible for ensuring that an energy certificate is:

  • produced by an accredited energy surveyor,
  • provided for each of your rented properties,
  • available from the first change of tenancy following the 4 January 2009.

Each energy certificate will be valid for 10 years, but if improved insulation or a more efficient heating system is installed in a property you as the landlord will have the choice of having an updated energy certificate produced at any time.

The Scottish Government have produced the following information for landlords:

Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.