When to call in an emergency

If there is an immediate threat to your health and safety or risk of major damage to property out of our office hours of 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday or on a public holiday, please phone our Emergency Response Team on 03000 200 292.

The team will only progress requests that are a genuine emergency. Please report any non-emergencies online or by telephone during our daytime hours.

An emergency road or streetlighting repair is required for:

  • Damage to streetlight cables
  • Lamp post struck by a vehicle
  • Lantern hanging dangerously
  • Dangerous overhead wires
  • Subsidence of road
  • Oil or fuel spill on the road
  • Dangerous overhead wires
  • Road sign causing an obstruction
  • Damage to railings or other street furniture that are now hazardous

For any issues on the A90 or A96 please contact Amey on 08000 830084


Examples of an emergency housing repair are:

  • Smell of gas - phone 0800 111 999
  • Flooding, such as a burst water pipe
  • Lost or broken keys
  • No heating and/or hot water
  • Unsafe power or lighting sockets
  • Total loss of water, electricity or gas
  • Unsafe electrical fittings
  • Loss of bathroom light where fitting is a sealed unit
  • Faults with smoke alarms or heat detectors
  • Main sewer drain is blocked and backing up into property
  • Blocked toilet facilities and only one facility in property
  • Insecure doors and windows to the home or locks
  • Out of service lifts
  • Failure of warden alarm or call system
  • Failure of door entry system for elderly or vulnerable tenants requiring daily assistance
  • Fire
  • Communal door entries – full lock out or lock in, or wires exposed only
  • Damage to roofs (make safe only, attendance depending on weather)

Non-emergency repairs include:

  • Repairs to kitchen units, general joinery repairs internally
  • Minor plumbing repairs for example dripping taps
  • Blocked sink or bath waste (if only sink, and / or tenant is disabled)
  • Non flushing toilet – unless tenant is disabled
  • Repairs to kitchen fittings for example, cupboard doors, drawers, worktops and handles – unless a hazard
  • Damage to stair treads or handrails or banisters unless it is causing a health and safety issue – this may be dependent on who lives in your household, for example children, vulnerable adults
  • Cracks on windows
  • One isolated socket (if not health and safety risk such as exposed wires or sparked/burn marks)
  • Minor plastering works
  • New internal doors being fitted (fire doors excluded)
  • Damp issues
  • One communal light out
  • No hot water (if an electric immersion system)
  • Communal TV issues
  • Communal door issues (other than a full lock out or lock in)
  • Ongoing repairs (unless deteriorating and are now causing a hazard)
  • Water penetration through windows
  • Draughts

Examples of waste and recycling emergencies are:

  • Commercial missed waste collections
  • Damage to waste bins where there is a hazard to public safety
  • Fly-tipping
  • Accumulations of waste on the run up to bonfire night

Examples of tree, grounds and parks emergencies include:

  • Damaged play equipment
  • Falling masonry
  • Trees blocking roads or pavements
  • Broken glass and / or drug paraphenalia
  • Blood, dead animals, missing/damaged lifebelts, needles and RTA debris are emergencies
  • Any other issue that is a danger to public health and safety.
  • Electricity: 0800 40 40 90
  • Power cut: 105
  • Gas leaks: 0800 111 999
  • Scottish Water: 0800 0778 778
  • Floodline: 0345 988 1188
  • NHS24: 111
  • Crimestoppers: 0800 555 111
  • Police Scotland: in an emergency call 999. For non-emergencies call 101
  • Alcoholics Anonymous: 0800 9177 650
  • The Samaritans: 116 123
  • Scotland's Domestic Abuse Helpline: 0800 027 1234
  • Antisocial behaviour: 0800 0510 434 (9pm-4am)
  • Homelessness: 0800 9176 379
  • Social Work: 0800 7315 520
Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.