Protected trees

You cannot prune or cut down a protected tree without permission. Trees are protected if:

  • they have a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) placed on them.
  • they are in a Conservation Area.
  • conditions have been added to planning permission to protect them from development.

A TPO is used to protect either individual trees, groups of trees or woodland that contribute to the amenity of the area. You are not allowed to lop or prune a tree protected by a TPO unless we have given you permission to do this.

You need to apply for permission to do work on protected trees before you do any of the work. To find out whether trees are protected, or to discuss how to apply for permission, please contact us using the details at the bottom of this page.

It is an offence under the Town and Country Planning (Scotland) Act to do work to or damage a protected tree without the Council's permission. We report offences to the Procurator Fiscal. If you damage or destroy a protected tree without our permission, you or the person doing the work may be prosecuted and fined up to £20,000 per tree. You will also have to plant a replacement tree or trees.

For more information about protected trees, please download the leaflet below:

Contact details

Environmental Policy Team
Strategic Place Planning
Aberdeen City Council
Business Hub 4
Marischal College
Broad Street
AB10 1AB
01224 522440

Or contact Environmental Services on 03000 200 292

Would you like to give feedback about the website?