Home education

You are allowed to educate your children at home instead of school if you choose to do so.

Under UK law it is education that is compulsory, not schooling, although most parents do choose to send their children to school.

If your child attends a public school, you must seek the education authority's consent before you withdraw your child.

You do not need to seek the consent of the education authority in order to home educate your child if:

  • The child has never attended a public school.
  • The child has never attended a public school in that authority's area. 
  • The child is being withdrawn from an independent school. 
  • The child has finished primary education in one school but has not started secondary education in another. 
  • The school the child has been attending has closed.

In the last two cases you simply need to notify us that you intend to home educate.

For more information about home education, see the Scottish Government's home education guide.

Contact details


Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.