The School Meals Catering Service provides meals for all schools in the city. The service aims to:
- Provide nutritious, well presented meal choices daily.
- Promote the healthier options and actively encourage their uptake.
- Be proactive in recipe development and introducing new menu tastes.
- Provide a service that meets the highest health and safety standards.
- Guarantee compliance with all current relevant legislation, including the Scottish Government's nutritional requirements for food and drink in schools (Scotland) regulations 2008.
- Work in partnership with head teachers, teaching staff, parents, pupils and other external partners to encourage positive changes in eating patterns over time.
- Provide a service that meets the needs of our customers.
- Strive for continuous improvements in all aspects of the service.
Primary school meals cost £2.10. You can buy tickets from the school, paying cash or cheque, or at a Customer Access Point, paying cash, cheque or by debit or credit card. Please make cheques payable to 'Aberdeen City Council'.
- Marischal College Customer Service Centre
- Kincorth Customer Access Point
- Mastrick Customer Access Point
- Woodside Customer Access Point
Secondary school meals cost £2.35 and are paid for through the Accord Card scheme.
Why choose school meals?
- Provides a third of the nutrients a child requires for growth and development.
- Encourages healthy eating from an early age.
- Meal entitlement meets the Scottish Government's nutritional requirements for food and drink in schools (Scotland) regulations 2008.
- Eating a balanced meal at lunchtime has been shown to aid concentration during afternoon lessons.
- Helps develop the social skills of eating within a safe, supervised dining room environment.
- Convenient - qualified staff prepare and cook lunch saving you time preparing a packed lunch.
- Vegetarian, medically prescribed diets and special dietary needs can be accommodated where possible.
- Lots of variety and choice.
- Milk or water available with every meal.
- Bread included with every meal.
- Regular fun days and promotions.
- Represents excellent value for money.
By opting in to free school meals not only will your child receive nutritional benefits but also learning benefits.
For every pupil from Primary 1 to S3 that registers for free meals the school will also receive £1,200 through Pupil Equity Funding (PEF). This funding can be used towards a wide range of initiatives to support achievement, such as breakfast clubs, lunchtime games, counselling services and numeracy and literacy resources.
The funding will help those who face barriers to their learning due to the impact of poverty.
Special dietary requirements
Healthy eating, vegetarian, multi-cultural and special dietary items are included in menu plans. If you have any specific concerns or requests, please contact the Head Teacher of your child's school.
Would you like to give feedback about the website?