Voluntary Care workers

Qualifying criteria

Certain voluntary care workers are disregarded for council tax purposes. This means that we bill your household as if you were not living there. If you live alone you will not have to pay council tax.

You will qualify for this disregard if:

  • you are a voluntary (unpaid) care worker
  • you are living in the property where you are working
  • you care for someone for more than 24 hours per week
  • you were introduced to the person you care for by a local authority, the crown or a charitable organisation
  • you don't earn more than £44 per week (in some circumstances this is lowered to £36 per week).

You must meet all of these conditions to qualify.

How to apply

Apply online

Contact the Council Tax team

Contact us
Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.