Severely Mentally Impaired

Qualifying criteria

Certain people who have severe mental impairments are disregarded for council tax purposes. This means that we bill your household as if you were not living there. If you live alone you will not have to pay council tax.

You will qualify for this disregard if you

  • have a permanent and severe learning disability or mental health impairment
  • are in receipt of, or entitled to, one of the qualifying benefits below

You need to meet both these criteria to qualify.

Qualifying benefits:

  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Severe Disability Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA) (higher or middle rate care)
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) daily living component
  • Disablement Pension for constant attendance at the increased rate
  • Disability Working Allowance
  • Unemployability Supplement/Allowance
  • Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Disabled Person's Tax Credits
  • Universal Credit
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment 

You can also qualify if you're entitled to any of these benefits but you don't receive them due to your age (for example you would qualify for DLA but you're over 65).

This disregard can be awarded for as long as you meet the above criteria and it can be backdated.

How to apply

Apply online or download an application form.

Part of the application form needs to be signed by a registered medical practitioner. You also need to provide evidence of your qualifying benefit (for example a letter from the Department of Work and Pensions confirming your award or entitlement to an award).

Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.