School leavers

Qualification criteria

Certain school leavers are disregarded for council tax purposes. This means that we bill your household as if you were not living there. If you live alone you will not have to pay council tax.

You qualify for this disregard if:

  • You are under 20 years old
  • You left school or college on or after the 1st of May in any year after studying a qualifying course
  • The course you were studying was no more advanced than "Higher" grade.

You must meet all of the above criteria to qualify.

Alternatively, if child benefit is still being paid for the young person then they will continue to receive this disregard.

How to apply

Apply online


Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.