Property left empty between two student lets

Where a property is solely occupied by qualifying students throughout term-time, a property may be eligible to remain exempt during the summer vacation. The exemption is for a maximum period of four months. It can only be claimed by the landlord and will only be granted if the property is to be re-occupied by qualifying students.

Landlords should complete a Student Property Exemption form and ensure that one is completed to represent all tenants in the property within 21 days of a change in occupancy. (A landlord may complete a form on behalf of the tenants). The Exemption will be awarded retrospectively once all of the relevant information has been obtained. An annual review shall be sent to the property to ensure that all tenants remain qualifying students.

Please note that tenants must be full-time students for the entirety of the lease for this to apply.

Further information can be found on the Council Tax Information for Students page.

How to apply

Apply online or download an application form.

Apply for student exemption

Do you need to talk about Council Tax or Housing Benefits?

Contact us

Would you like to give feedback about the website?