Patients in care homes and hospitals

Qualification criteria

Certain people who are staying in a hospital or care home are disregarded for council tax purposes. This means that we bill your household as if you were not living there. If you live alone you will not have to pay council tax.

You qualify for this disregard if you:

  • Are in a residential care home or hospital where you are receiving care or treatment
  • Are expecting your stay in the care home to be permanent.

You need to meet both the above criteria to qualify for this disregard.

How to apply

You can apply for hospital/residential/nursing home discount or exemption online.  When you apply you will need to upload a photo or scan of a supplementary application for hospital/residential/nursing home discount or exemption which has been completed and signed by a member of staff at the residential care home, nursing home, or hospital.  Please make sure you have this before you apply. 

You can find a supplementary application form below for printing and taking to the residential care home, nursing home, or hospital for completion.


Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.