From 1 April 2018 a new law has been introduced by the Scottish Government to exclude Care Leavers from paying Council Tax.
This means that if you are a Care Leaver and you live on your own or you live with other Care Leavers then you will not have to pay Council Tax for your house.
If you live with someone else who isn’t a Care Leaver they may qualify for a discount.
To apply you must:
- Be between 18 and 26 years old (this will only apply until your 26th birthday)
- Have previously been in the care of a local authority (from 16 years of age onwards)
You need to meet both of the above criteria to apply.
When deciding if an exemption or discount can be applied we will need to take into account:
- Who is responsible for Council Tax in the household.
- Any other reductions or exemptions already in place.
- The number of other residents who are over 17 in your household.
If you think you, or a member of your household, may be entitled to receive an exemption or a discount you can apply online:
Alternatively, you can e-mail us at email@example.com with the following information:
- Name of liable person, address and Council Tax reference number (if known).
- Name and date of birth of care leaver(s).
- Name of local authority providing care at age 16.
- Phone number and email address so that we can contact you.
Or phone us on 03000 200 292. We may get in touch with you to request more information to support your application.