If you are a Care Leaver and you live on your own or you live with other Care Leavers then you will not have to pay Council Tax for your property.
If you live with someone else who isn’t a Care Leaver they may qualify for a discount.
The criteria to be eligible
- Is at least 18 years of age but not yet 26 years of age,
- Was on that person’s sixteenth birthday or any day subsequent time looked after by a local authority*, and
- Is no longer looked after by a local authority
*Aberdeen City Council has enacted a policy to also include those who were in a kinship placement prior to sixteenth birthday
When deciding if an exemption or discount can be applied we will need to take into account:
- Who is responsible for Council Tax in the household.
- Any other reductions or exemptions already in place.
- The number of other residents who are over 17 in your household.
If you think you, or a member of your household, may be entitled to receive an exemption or a discount you can apply online:
We may get in touch with you to request more information to support your application.