Voter ID

In order to receive a ballot paper in person at a polling place, you will need to show an accepted form of photographic ID.

Acceptable forms of ID will include:

  • Passport issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, a British Overseas Territory, an EEA state or a Commonwealth country (including an Irish Passport Card) 
  • A Blue Badge
  • Scottish National Entitlement Card issued for the purpose of concessionary travel (including a 60+, disabled or under 22s bus pass)
  • Older Person’s Bus Pass funded by the UK Government
  • Disabled Person’s Bus Pass funded by the UK Government
  • an identity card bearing the Proof of Age Standards Scheme hologram (a PASS card) for example, a Young Scot card
  • Biometric immigration document
  • Ministry of Defence Form 90 (Defence Identity Card)
  • National identity card issued by an EEA state
  • Voter Authority Certificate
  • Anonymous Elector’s Document

You can still use your photo ID if it's out of date, as long as it looks like you.

The name on your ID should be the same name you used to register to vote.

For a comprehensive list of acceptable photographic IDs, please see the Electoral Commission website - Accepted forms of photo ID | Electoral Commission

No acceptable Photo ID? Apply for a Voter Authority Certificate (VAC)

If you do not have any of the accepted forms of ID, think your photo ID no longer looks like you or your worried about using an existing form of ID for any other reason (e.g. the use of a gender marker), you will be able to apply online for a free Voter Authority Certificate - this is a photographic identity document specifically for the purpose of voting.

Apply for photo ID to vote 

If you need to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate, make sure you do so in good time ahead of it being required at the polling station.

Alternatively, you can complete a paper application form - Apply for a Voter Authority Certificate by post if you’re living in the UK - GOV.UK.

If you need any help with applying for a Voter Authority Certificate please contact  

Voters who do not produce a Voter Authority Certificate, or valid photo identification will not be allowed to vote on the day.

For those who do not wish to show their face in public, for example for religious reasons, provisions will be made by way of a privacy screen or separate room.

Postal voters will not be affected and will be issued with their postal ballot papers as usual.

If you choose to vote by proxy, then the person who you have trusted to vote on your behalf will have to take their own identification to be issued with a ballot paper.

Showing ID as an anonymous elector

If you're registered to vote anonymously and want to vote in person, you'll need an Anonymous Elector's Document to vote at a polling place.

If you are already registered as an anonymous voter, or you register to vote anonymously, you will be invited to apply for an Anonymous Elector's Document by your Electoral Registration Office.

Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.