Amending forenames and surnames

Who may apply to record a change of name

Any person whose birth is registered in Scotland or who was legally adopted in Scotland may apply for a recorded change of name. If the person is under 16 years of age, the application must be made by a qualified applicant who is defined as follows:

  • where only one parent has parental responsibilities in relation to the child, that parent
  • where both parents have such responsibilities in relation to the child, both parents
  • where neither parent has such responsibilities, any other person who has such responsibilities

If the person is over 16 years of age, they must apply on their own behalf.

How to apply

You will need to complete an application form and may find it helpful to go to the National Records of Scotland for further information and for documents you can download.


The current fee is £40. For family applications the fee is £40 for the first family member and £10 for each subsequent family member when applied for at the same time. The cost of a full birth extract or abbreviated certificate is £15 with a further £10 payable for each additional extract of the same entry ordered at the same time.

Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.