Help with housing costs

Housing and Council Tax Benefit

Housing Benefit can help you pay your rent if you’re on a low income or claiming benefits and have less than £16,000 capital and savings, unless you are getting Guaranteed Pension Credits. It’s being replaced by Universal Credit. You can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if you have reached State Pension age or you’re in supported, sheltered or temporary housing

Find you more about Housing Benefit 

Claim form for Housing Benefit and Application for Council Tax Reduction 

Council Tax Reduction

Council Tax Reduction is available to people who have a low income and less than £16,000 capital and savings, unless you are getting Guaranteed Pension Credits to help towards the cost of council tax. This is a means tested reduction and the amount of award will depend on your personal circumstances.

Find out more about Council Tax Reduction

There are other ways to reduce your Council Tax bill through varies discounts and exemptions.  Find out more about discounts and exemptions.

Universal Credit Housing Costs 

You can get help paying for your housing if you’re eligible for Universal Credit. This is called your housing payment.

Your housing payment can help you pay your rent to a private landlord, your rent and some service charges if you rent from a housing association or local authority or interest payments on your mortgage and some service charges if you or your partner own the property you live in.

Find out more about how to claim Housing costs. 

Discretionary Housing Payment

If your Housing Benefit or Universal Credit Housing Costs doesn't cover all of your rent and you are having difficulty paying the shortfall, you may be able to get a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) to help.

Find out more and apply for Discretionary Housing Payment 

Support for Mortgage Interest 

If you’re a homeowner, you might be able to get help towards interest payments on your mortgage or loans you’ve taken out for certain repairs and improvements to your home

Find out more and apply for Support for Mortgage Interest

Local Housing Allowance

If you rent privately, your eligible rent amount is either your Local Housing Allowance (LHA) rate or your actual rent, whichever is lower. The LHA rate is based on where you live and your household size. Find out how many bedrooms you’re eligible for.

Council Tax Bands

If you don't know what Council Tax band you are in, you can search by postcode and address.


Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.