Disability benefits

From 25 July 2022 Personal Independence Payments (PIP) will be replaced by Adult Disability Payment for new claimants who meet the qualifying criteria. Any new applications for disability benefit should be made to Social Security Scotland

Personal Independence Payments(PIP) are changing in Scotland. Adult Disability Payment is replacing PIP- Your benefit will move from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to Social Security Scotland between summer 2022 and summer 2024.

Your Adult Disability Payment will be the same amount as your PIP. You'll be paid on the same day and there will be no gap in your payments during the move from PIP to Adult Disability Payment.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children in Scotland has now transfered from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to Social Security Scotland. Child Disability Payment will replace DLA for children in Scotland. There will be no change to the amount you are paid. Children and young people in Scotland will continue to get Child Disability Payment until they are 18.

Find out more about the Child Disability Payment 


Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is being replaced by Personal Independence Payment (PIP) for disabled people. You can only apply for DLA if you’re under 16.

If you were born on or before 8 April 1948, you’ll continue to get Disability Living Allowance (DLA) as long as you’re eligible for it. If you were born after 8 April 1948, your DLA will end. You’ll get a letter telling you when that will happen. You’ll continue to get DLA until that date.

Find out more about Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for adults


Attendance Allowance is a benefit for people over State Pension age who need help with personal care or supervision because of illness or disability.

You can either download a claim form or phone 0800 731 0122 to request a form and post to ‘Freepost DWP Attendance Allowance’

Find out more information from Gov.UK

Find our more information from Age UK

If you're aged 15 to 25 with a disability or impairment you can apply to the Transition Fund for money to help you take part in a new activity or learn a skill.

Find out more about applying for to the ILF Scotland Transition Fund.

You might get Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB) if you became ill or are disabled because of an accident or disease either at work or on an approved employment training scheme or course. The amount you may get depends on your individual circumstances.

Find out more about claiming IIDB.

Adult Disability Payment is a new payment from Social Security Scotland to help with the extra cost of living with a disability or health condition.

It is replacing Personal Independence Payment and Disability Living Allowance for people who:

  • live in Scotland
  • are over 16 and under State Pension age (currently 66 for men and women)
  • have difficulty or need help with daily living activities or getting around because of a health condition or disability
  • have had the difficulties for at least 3 months, and expect them to continue for at least another 9 months
  • have been present in Great Britain for at least 26 of the last 52 weeks

Find out more about applying for ADP 

A short video on ADP is available to view through the Age Scotland website. 


Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.