Scottish Child Payment Information

Scottish child payment opens to children under 16 on Monday the 14th of November.

The payment which was previously £80 every four weeks for children under six will also increase to £100 every four weeks.

Families who get Universal Credit tax credits or other qualifying benefits could be eligible.

Frequently Asked Questions 

On 14th of November. You shouldn't apply before this. We strongly encourage people to apply on the day to make sure they get all the money they are entitled to.

No, you do not need to do anything. You will receive Scottish Child Payment at the new rate of £25 per child per week automatically from the 14th of November.

You can add older children to your existing award through the online child Scottish child payment form there's no need to do a completely new form.

We strongly encourage people to apply online if they can.


If that’s not possible for you to do so, then you can also make applications by post or over the phone on 0800 182 2222. The opening times are Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm.


No, a significant proportion of people who receive qualifying benefits such as Universal Credit or Tax Credit are in work. So as long as you are in receipt of a qualifying benefit you can still be eligible for Scottish Child Payment.

  • Universal Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Income support
  • Pension credits
  • Working tax credit
  • Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Income Related Employment and Support Allowance

People who care for children in their family but who aren't there parents - known as kinship carers - can qualify for Scottish Child Payment if they meet the eligibility criteria.

No. If you receive Scottish Child Payment, it will not affect this.

Yes, Bridging Payments are administered completely separately to Scottish Child Payment. So, if you're eligible for the Scottish Child Payment, you should apply for it in the normal way regardless of whether you get the Bridging Payments. You will still get your final bridging payment (of £260) in December.

If your child is 16 or over and still in full-time education, you should look at claiming Education Maintenance Allowance.  

It may take some time for us to process your payment but please be assured we will do so as quickly as we can. The money you receive should be backdated to the date we received your application. There’s no need to check on progress by phone once the application is made

Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.