Your data: environmental health

How we use your information

Aberdeen City Council aims to promote a safe and healthy environment in order to protect the public health of everyone living, working and visiting Aberdeen. If you contact us to register a complaint or to ask for our advice, we will make a record of the information you give us, to allow us to carry out a comprehensive investigation of your service request.  

If we have received information about you from a third party, we will use the information provided, and may gather more from internal services such as Housing, Council Tax and Private Sector Housing. The information we receive about you will include your name, your address and the nature of the complaint against you. We need to process this information in order to comprehensively investigate the service request which has been made, and take appropriate action, including informal and formal enforcement. 

We hold name and address details collected in relation to private water supplies on a public register that is kept available for inspection by any person. 

We will only disclose your information, including your name and address, for the purposes of taking either informal or formal enforcement action to protect your public health, or that of the general public. To do this we may have to share your information with SEPA, Police Scotland, or any other relevant body.  

Dog Control Notice information is uploaded to the national Dog Control Database. The information stored there is accessible to other local authorities in Scotland and to Police Scotland. 

How long we keep your information for

This information will be stored electronically and in some instances in hard copy, and we will keep it for ten years, after which time it will be deleted. 

If your information is used for compiling the Private Water Supply register or in relation to Dog Control Notices we will keep your information for as long as you have a private water supply. 

If your information is used in relation to Dog Control Notices, we will keep your information for as long as the dog in question is owned by you, or until 2 years after the Notice is discharged, whichever is sooner.  

Your rights

You’ve got legal rights about the way the Council handles and uses your data, which include the right to ask for a copy of it, and to ask us to stop doing something with your data. Please contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer by email or write to:
Data Protection Officer
Marischal College
AB10 1AB

See more information about all of the rights you have. You also have the right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office. They are the body responsible for making sure organisations like the Council handle your data lawfully.

Our legal basis

Aberdeen City Council is the Data Controller for this information. Wherever we process personal information we have to make sure we have a basis for doing so in Data Protection Law. We understand our basis for processing your data as Article 6(1)(e) of the UK General Data Protection Regulation. This is because we consider this activity to be part of our public task and something we can do under Environmental Health and Health and Safety legislation.

These are the pieces of legislation from which we take our statutory duties and powers, in order to provide an Environmental Health Service:

We understand our basis for keeping a register of specified details in relation to private water supplies as Article 6(1)(c) as we have a legal obligation to do so under the Water Intended for Human Consumption (Private Supplies) (Scotland) Regulations 2017

We understand our basis for uploading Dog Control Notice data to the Dog Control database as Article 6(1)(c) as we have a legal obligation to do so under the Scottish Dog Control Database Order 2021. 

Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.