Adult support and protection

If you know or suspect that an adult is being harmed, you should: 

  • Make sure the adult is safe.
  • If immediate help is needed, call 999.
  • Complete our secure online reporting form to tell us who you are concerned about, or contact one of the services below:
  • Aberdeen City Council Duty Social Work Team/Out of Hours Social Work Team (24 hours): 0800 731 5520
  • Police Scotland: 101
  • Care Inspectorate: 0345 600 9527

When you contact us, you will be asked who you are calling about and why you are concerned. You might be asked how you know the person involved. You do not need to give your name if you do not wish to.

People aged 16 and over who are unable to protect themselves from harm because of a disability, mental disorder, illness, physical or mental infirmity.

Harm may be:

  • Physical
  • Neglect
  • Financial
  • Sexual
  • Psychological
  • Discriminatory

Harm may happen anywhere. 

  • Relatives and family
  • Professional staff
  • Paid care workers
  • Volunteers
  • Other service users
  • Neighbours
  • Friends

Anybody may cause harm. 

The Council has a duty to investigate an alleged incident of harm. Other professionals may be involved, for example police officers or health services. The investigation will be handled as sensitively as possible. The adult will be listened to and their wishes considered. If the concerns are serious the Council will act immediately to make sure the adult is safe.

Your concerns will be treated with the respect and attention they deserve.

Don't leave it to someone else – it might be too late!

Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.