Pavement cafe permit application

Licence summary 

If you wish to place objects or obstructions in the road you must have consent, for example, if you wish to place tables and chairs on the street outside your premises.

Consent is obtained from the Roads department.

Please refer to the Pavement Cafe Design Guide and then apply online for a permit:

Application evaluation process

Conditions may be attached to a consent.

Will tacit consent apply? 

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period

Failed application redress 

Please contact the Roadworks Coordination team in the first instance.

Consumer complaint 

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, the Citizens Advice Bureau will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Trade associations 

Scottish Building Federation

Scottish Master Wrights and Builders Association (SMWBA)

For more information on roadworks or street occupation

Contact us
Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.