Roadworks and street occupation

If you would like to apply for permission to occupy a road for road works or other works, please see details below.

Permission to construct an industrial crossing

An industrial crossing is a heavy duty dropped kerb crossing suitable for access to multiple dwellings and commercial properties, for example for heavy goods vehicles.

Permission to execute roadworks

Any bodies wishing to carry out road works in Aberdeen City first need permission to do so.

Temporary traffic restriction application

Contractors requiring a temporary traffic management order on roads and bridges must first apply for one.

Orders or notices may be made/issued for matters such as:

  • Parking restrictions
  • Road or footway closure
  • Footpath closure

Temporary traffic light application

Temporary traffic lights are used on roads to control vehicular traffic in a safe manner when there is some form of temporary restriction on the road. In most situations, temporary traffic signals are placed on roads by utility companies or their contractors to allow for the safe repair or installation of pipes and cables.

A temporary traffic signal permit must be obtained from Aberdeen City Council before temporary traffic lights can be placed on the Council's road network.

Applicants must send an OS plan 1:1250 or 1:2,500 scale indicating the work area and traffic control arrangements.

Please note that seven working days notice is required. Please also inform us immediately when the lights are removed.

There is a charge of £90 per week.

Permission to occupy part of the road for commercial purposes

Permission to occupy part of the road for non commercial purposes

Permission to occupy part of the road for the staging of a promotional event

For more information on roadworks or street occupation

Contact us

Would you like to give feedback about the website?