Resident parking permits: frequently asked questions

Here are some frequently asked questions about resident parking permits. Click on a question to see the answer.

You are entitled to a permit if your usual place of residence or business is within a controlled parking zone. For businesses, you must also be registered as paying Non Domestic Rates to Aberdeen City Council and the vehicle must be used for business purposes, not just for commuting.

Zones A to G are entitled to a maximum of 1 permit which must be fixed.

Zones H to Z and Zone RR are entitled to a maximum of 2 permits (if applying for only one, this can be either fixed or flexible. If applying for two, either at the same time or while one permit is already valid, one permit must be fixed).

The vehicle must be a passenger or light goods vehicle weighing less than 3.5 tonnes and designed for 8 passengers or less (excluding the driver).

You can use the permit on a lease or hire car.

You do not need a permit for motorbikes. You can park a motorbike for free in any parking bay.

Permits must be clearly displayed on the vehicle windscreen and the permit must be fully visible so the City Warden can check it.

There are two types of parking permits available – fixed and flexible permits.

A fixed permit means the permit is assigned to a specific vehicle and therefore a specific registration number. The permit can only be used for the vehicle to which the permit is assigned. It cannot be used on any other vehicle. In zones where you are entitled to two permits (all zones except zones A to G) and you want two permits, one of the permits must be fixed while the other permit can be either fixed or flexible.

A flexible permit, available in all zones, except A to G, is a permit which is not assigned to a specific vehicle or specific registration number. It can be used on any vehicle which is used by the person who bought the permit and his or her visitors.

You will not qualify for a resident parking permit if:

  • You own a property in Aberdeen City but live elsewhere.
  • You work in Aberdeen City but live elsewhere.
  • You live in student halls of residence.

Please allow at least ten working days for us to issue your permit. We will email you to confirm when the permit has been posted out to you.

In the meantime, you may not park your vehicle in the controlled zone unless it is already displaying a valid permit, or you buy a ticket from a pay and display machine.

We will use the email address you provide on your application to send you are reminder when your permit is due for renewal.

You can renew your permit online: 

Please allow at least 10 working days for your new permit to be issued.

If you are applying for a new parking permit, you must provide proof of address. This can be:

  • A current utility bill, bank statement, credit card statement, mortgage agreement or Council Tax letter. The document must be dated within the last 3 months.
  • Or a current tenancy agreement, issued by a Housing Association or letting agent on headed paper and dated within the last 3 months.

The document you provide must show your name and Aberdeen City address.

When you apply for a new fixed permit, you need to provide documents to show that you own the vehicle. The documents must show your full name.

If you are the owner of the vehicle, please provide all pages of the DVLA Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C). If you can’t provide the V5C, but have the bill of sale or insurance documents confirming the make, model and vehicle registration, we can issue a 3 month permit only. If after the 3 months you still cannot provide the V5C, your application to renew the permit will be rejected.

If the vehicle is owned by someone else but you are the keeper of the vehicle, you must provide:

  • All pages of the DVLA Vehicle Registration Certificate V5C. 
  • Your insurance certificate and policy schedule showing your name, address and vehicle registration.

If you are hiring the vehicle, please provide the hire contract or lease agreement showing your name and the vehicle registration number.

If you are applying for a fixed permit for a company vehicle, please provide a letter from your employer that:

  • Is on the company’s official letter headed stationery.
  • Is dated within the last month.
  • Confirms that the vehicle is owned/leased by the company and that you are the sole keeper and user.
  • Is signed by the company secretary or someone with similar authority. You cannot sign this letter yourself.

You do not need to provide proof that you own the vehicle if you are applying for a flexible permit, or to renew a fixed permit for the same vehicle.

If you have a fixed permit and permanently change your vehicle or number plate you can use the online form to notify us of the change.

You must return your original permit and provide proof of residency and proof of ownership for your new vehicle. You will be charged a £10 administration fee for a replacement which will be valid for the remaining period of your original permit.

If you move house, please use our online form to let us know your new address:

If you are moving within the same parking zone then you can continue to use your existing permit but you must inform us of your change of address.

If you change your address and you are moving to a different parking zone within Aberdeen City then you must return your existing permit(s) for a replacement permit to be issued. A £10 administration fee is payable unless returned within the renewal period. Permits can be returned to Customer Service Centre, Marischal College, Broad Street, Aberdeen, AB10 1AB.

No, no discounts are available. 

No refunds are given on permits no longer required. If you no longer need your permit and it is still valid, please post it back to the Aberdeen City Council Customer Service Centre, Marischal College, Broad Street, Aberdeen AB10 1AB. 

Yes, if you live in any zone except zones A to G, you can buy a flexible permit which you can give to your carer/cleaner/nanny when they need to use it. They can only use the permit when they are visiting your household and they must return the permit to you at the end of their visit.

If you have a Blue Badge you can park your vehicle in either the 'Pay and Display' parking bays or in the 'Residents Only' parking bays without needing a permit.

Your Blue Badge must be displayed in the windscreen and it must be current.

We can revoke your parking permit if you misuse the residents parking scheme, including if you:

  • Sell your permit.
  • Provide false information to obtain a permit.
  • Allow non-residents to use your address to get a permit.

For enquiries about new applications or existing permits

Contact us
Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.