Licensed premises and raised structures

Please note that this web page is intended to guide you through the procedures associated with making an application to the Building Standards Section for a licence.

The advice is not intended to summarise relatively complex areas of the law. Anyone using this page should obtain independent advice from their own solicitors, accountants and other advisors.

The Building Standards Section is involved in work for:

  • The City's Licensing Board on Liquor and Gaming premises
  • The Council's Licensing Committee on a range of issues
  • Raised Structures Permits - where applications are handled directly 

Before an application can be made to the Licensing Board for a Premises Liquor Licence, Section 50 Certificates for Planning Permission, Building Standards and Food Safety must be obtained to confirm the suitability of the premises for their intended use. Applications for Section 50 Certificates are made directly to Enterprise, Planning and Infrastructure (Building Standards). Application for a Food Safety Certificate is made to Environmental Health (Commercial Section).

Events like pop concerts, Highland Games and sporting events like large golf tournaments involve the erection of temporary structures which do not require Building Warrant approval but must be safe for the public on and around them.

Generally, any structure more than 600mm above ground such as temporary grandstands, stages and the like require permits before they can be occupied by the public under Section 89 of the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982. Application is made with supporting plans and structural information demonstrating that the erection will comply with current safety codes and recommendations. Permit is issued after the structure has been erected and the local authority is satisfied that it can safely be occupied. It is normal practice to issue the permit, stipulating the maximum number of persons who can occupy the structure, shortly before the event opens to the public. The fee for a Raised Structure application is £125.

If you are having construction work done, you may need to notify the Health and Safety Executive and you may have other duties as well.

To find out more, please see the HSE - Building Control page.

Contact the Planning and Building Standards teams

Contact us
Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.