Bookbug is Scotland's early years book gifting programme, managed nationally by Scottish Book Trust and aims to encourage parents and children to share and enjoy books together.
Aberdeen City Libraries works together with health and early years partners to deliver the Bookbug programme which gifts free book packs to children from birth to primary one.
- Baby Bag - gifted by your health visitor before your baby is six months old.
- Toddler Bag - gifted by your health visitor when your toddler is one year old.
- Explorer Bag - gifted at nursery/playgroup when your child is three years old. If your child does not attend nursery or playgroup he or she can still receive an explorer bag - please contact email@example.com
- Primary 1 Family Bag - gifted to all children in Primary 1 and contains the titles shortlisted in the Bookbug picture book prize, the winner of which is chosen by children. The bags are gifted in school after the October holidays (usually during Book Week Scotland which is in November) and provide a terrific opportunity to support your child's reading and have fun as a family.
Additional support needs - in addition to the Bookbug bags there are a number of books suitable for children with additional needs available from the early years gifting coordinator.
All the Bookbug bags are also available in Gaelic. Gaelic baby and toddler bags are available from your Health Visitor alongside English ones. Gaelic Explorer and Primary 1 bags are gifted via your child’s early years settings or school at the same time as English bags. If you have any queries about the gifting of Bookbug bags please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01224 652558.
Bookbug aims to foster a love of books through a range of fun activities, including free Bookbug sessions and Bookbug's library challenge. For more information on the national Bookbug programme visit the Scottish Book Trust website. If you have any questions about Bookbug in Aberdeen email email@example.com or phone 01224 652558.
Bookbug sessions are free, fun and friendly events for babies, toddlers and their families to enjoy together. Each session lasts around 30 minutes and includes songs, stories and rhymes. There is usually no need to book. They take place in a very relaxed environment and are a great opportunity to spend some quality time with your little one.
Bookbug sessions are fully inclusive and open to all families, regardless of age, disability, gender, gender identity, race, religion or belief, or sexual orientation. We want to make sure that Bookbug sessions in our libraries reflect our diverse community and hope parents/carers will get involved. We’d be delighted if parents/carers would like to share songs and rhymes from other countries, cultures or languages at Bookbug sessions – please speak to the person leading the session.
Advance booking is required to attend Bookbug sessions at Central Children's Library, Airyhall, Bridge of Don and Ferryhill libraries. Please contact the appropriate library by email or telephone to book a place or for more information. Find your local library to make a booking.
Bookbug library challenge
The challenge aims to encourage children aged 0 to 5 to discover and enjoy their local library and all libraries in Aberdeen City are looking forward to signing up new members. Taking part is easy and fun.
- Join your local library - your child can join from birth.
- Choose some stories to share.
- Ask for a Bookbug Library Challenge card and collect 2 stickers each time you visit.
- Make 3 visits to swap your fully stamped card for a beautifully illustrated certificate for your child to keep.
We’re always trying to improve the service we offer and would love to know what you think about Bookbug sessions in Aberdeen City Libraries. We will be surveying parents/carers attending sessions at Airyhall, Children’s, Cults, Dyce, Ferryhill, Kincorth, Tillydrone and Torry libraries during September. If you attend one of these sessions please complete the evaluation form in the library, online Bookbug Evaluation survey or download a copy of the Bookbug Evaluation survey below;
Would you like to give feedback about the website?